Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Kay's Stash and Plans

Hello everyone!  I am happy to be a part of this de-stashing project.

I have plastic tubs and wood chests full of fabric, and I really do not have the time to take pictures, so you will just have to believe me! :)  There is lots of quilting fabric and almost as much of fashion fabric.  I got the quilting fabric from my mother.  Every now and then I will make a quilt, but it really isn't my thing.

My goals are to make several skirts, tops, and pants to wear to work.  I am a conservative dresser, so I stick w/ more basic items.  I am not much on pushing the envelope with my wardrobe, even weekend wear!  My goal is to be able to comfortably participate in Made Me May 2014!

I have a ton of patterns - well over 100, and while, I have good intentions on using them, once I find a pattern that I love, I am quite frankly too afraid to try anything else.  Right now, two of my favorite patterns are the Sewaholic Thurlow pants pattern, and the Renfrew top pattern.  I want to use another pants pattern to mix up my pants wardrobe a bit, and really, I want to try my hand a couple of new dress patterns that I bought recently.

I love to refashion items as well.  I am an avid thrift store shopper.  I look at items that I can make into other things.

Other than sewing, my husband and I own and operate a small dairy farm as well as poultry for eggs to sell.  We have two very large gardens to grow most all of our veggies for the year, so we stay pretty busy.

I will end this w/ a photo from my latest refashion, and will have a Stash Bustin' post ready for next week!

Take care and God bless!

Kay
Blog:  www.howzenful.blogspot.com



7 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Kay,
SO proud we will be "destashing our Fabric"
I too, have tons of fabric, and I wonder sometimes, "Where did all this come from?" ha
My goal for this sew a long, is too make some basic ,everyday clothes. Since I am retired now, I really wear comfortable basic clothes everyday. And most importantly...is too use my stash, and not go buy new fabric for the challenge.
Love your refashioned skirt.. Happy sewing.

Far said...

I am with you re the usage (and the collecting) of patterns. I still buy patterns, yet seems to maybe stick to a few as the base. But I "justify" it by saying to myself that while I don't really make up all those patterns, I learn lots from looking at the line drawings and instructions. I think I actually next to never make 100% as the pattern suggests, even what I call my go to pattern. "Edit" here and there. Now, if only I take proper note of what changes I made on a project and can recreate it onto the next iteration of that, I will be a happy camper.

Mary said...

Hi Kay, Nice to meet you and I look forward to seeing more of your cute garments!

Jacq C said...

Hi, I think your aim for next year's Me Made May is a really great one. It makes such sense to spend time creating items you know you will wear :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi, it looks as though a few of us want to go into Me Made May 2014. Kay, I don't blame you for not venturing into unknown pattern territory - especially given all the other demands in your life. I believe you when you say you have a memorable stash. Looking forward to seeing your stash garments.

Beverly said...

Hi Kay, I'm always looking for the "perfect" pants pattern. Maybe I'll try the Sewaholic Thurlow pants.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

The perfect pants quest again - maybe that can be another suggestion for stash sewing :)