Sunday, May 26, 2013

Sarah Liz - My Glorious Stash


How I'd like my stash to look...

I have a large stash that I have collected over years.  Hanging, in cupboards and in bins.  I also collect patterns with all those beautiful garments that are going to look gorgeous, when I finally get around to making them.  I started with a cupboard (above) but it soon grew and grew with sewing time getting less and less.

I also collect and hoard patterns - once again, for all those plans that just don't quite happen.  I suspect I have delusional ideas about what I can actually make in the time available :)   Other amazing bloggers seem to manage amazing amounts of sewing plus seem to have amazing lives doing absolutely everything, but I have to admit I am normal.   Which means I don't get to make up what my big ego thinks it can get me to do.

The latest hoard - outgrown the filing drawer.

 Like Marjorie, every year I make plans to make just a few core garments, then the season has been and gone, and I wonder what happened to the plans - usually though, it's something to do with having other things in life I  have deemed more important.

So, I collected and collected - this has gone on for years - luckily, other areas of my life have been well managed - but I suspect at cost to personal sewing dreams.

Fabric stash on top of bins of stash

Stash under side table in bins but it grew and grew...

Hanging stash in wardrobe
So, that's an example of my stash.  I do believe 177 pieces, give or take a piece or two.  All neatly catalogued.





So now I am ready to sew except that over the years:


You forget how to sew.  Then you have to learn again.  Then you find nothing fits you. Then you have to learn to fit without anyone to help you - have you noticed how all the books say to get a sewing buddy in for a whole afternoon just to fit on garment - most of us have to fit ourselves. So it gets quite tricky! And that's just one garment.

So somehow I want to learn to fit myself efficiently and to make sewing time more of a priority.


I want to make classic wardrobe basics that mix and match with everything - so I need to make capsules, or at the very least make sure anything I make goes with something.

I also want to make things that are more stylish - most of my life I've just worn what is appropriate to the job, so now I want to make things that are appropriate to me.

I know I am in very good company here, so let's all help each other get those garments made...

Looking forward to finding out about your  stashes and sewing goals.

And then we are going to start making them happen...

Sarah Liz :)

18 comments:

Jacq C said...

Hi Sarah Liz, I am totally with you, I have great plans but just don't have enough time for everything, I had planned to sew today but the garden needs attention so I thought "OK am garden, pm sewing". However my brother has just been on the phone and he, his wife and the kiddies are popping down to 'help'! It will be lovely (and I think a pub lunch is in order - I hadn't planned on catering for 9 today!). There will be no sewing - life happens.

I think everyone's support here is going to be really inspiring. I think I'd like to nominate you for The Most Organised Stash Award! :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Jacq - yes, I am very familiar with the life happens scenario - and then when you settle down to sew, someone wants something, or something happens. I'm so familiar with that. A pub lunch was certainly the way to go! Sounds like you had a lovely day though...Thanks for the award, I need it today - I have finally worked out how to make the blog button code - that was my sewing afternoon gone :). It's a wonder you haven't heard me over there when I finally got it to work!!

Yes, I think it will be great to work with everyone - it's a nice small group so that makes it easier to encourage each other. What are you thinking about making? (Once you get over the wedding invitations)

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Sarah Liz, I am so totally amazed at how organized your stash is [especially the fabric swatch notebook]..I want to do that one day..
I am so excited about this stash sew along.. It has really got me to thinking about "using what I have" , in a more positive way.
I will be posting my stash soon.. Need to clean my sewing room , before I take photos.lol
Have a great day.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

life definitely happens here at my house too.. How nice your brother/family is coming to help. and Pub lunch...is a great idea.
I agree with you.. Sarah is so organized..

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Judy, I really like that comment about using what you have (the stash) in a more positive way - we do tend to take the stash for granted, and, poor thing, it tends to get ignored as we pursue buying even more! I had to organise my stash Judy - I hadn't a clue what I had. It took ages - I just did a small amount each weekend until the job was done. I know what you mean about needing to clean before photo's - but a hint - photo's only show what you want them to show, lol's.

redpointtailor said...

I love your fabric stash organiser - did you use business card holder? It is excellent idea! I am thinking about something like this for ages!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi, yes, I did ues a business card holder, and I have packets of visiting cards which I trim back to fit. I write down the type and amount of fabric and the width. If it is black or navy I write that down as well, because it can be hard to tell them apart. It takes time, but if you do it bit by bit it's not so bad. You can also take it with you in a carry bag to the shop. I know you can put all these things on apps, but I do find that you need to look at the textures as well.

Beverly said...

I love your title "glorious stash"; that's how I feel about mine. But yours is much more organized than mine.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Beverly - yes, I do like my stash, it's very comforting knowing it is at hand should I need to make something quickly. That's also why I organised it - so I could look at the catalogue and look at my patterns to see what I can make. I do need to run it down a bit though, it's grown out of hand :)

Far said...

I love the way you organize them! Glorious indeed!

Mary said...

Totally organized Sarah Liz! sheesh...I love the armoire also.

dkswife said...

Wow. You are very organized. I look forward to seeing everyone's projects.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Far, yes it kept me out of mischief for a few hours while I made the catalogue lol's

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Mary, there are some areas where I am organised, and some areas where I most certainly am not - especially if I'm not interested!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Kay, Only in certain areas am I organised...

Scheryka said...

I like the swatch book idea. I would probably have a wall full of swatch books lone if I would do that. Maybe I'll do that for the future stash. I know I'm supposed to be in rehab but I'm too far gone.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Scheryka. I know what you mean - it took me years to make this book up - I couldn't sew (lots happening in life) but I could play with my stash - so I made this. I think its a great idea to make a book with future stash - as you say, you are pretty incurable, so its going to happen :)

Scheryka said...

Lol! Incurable.... you're right!