Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A Better Late Than Never Hello

Hello all!

I'm a little late introducing myself, but I have a very good excuse.  I was still clearing out my sewing room.  For the past 4 years, I've been on a sewing hiatus.  Now given my new clothing budget ($0) and the fact that I'm growing a little tired of my current wardrobe (and tired of the "just okay" fit of it all), I decided to join this challenge. Well, for that reason and because...well, how do I put this?  I have the fabric and pattern stash of a crazy person.  I've not been idle these past 4 years.... oh no!  I've been slowing selling off fabric - things that don't suit my current style, fell into the "what was I thinking?" pile or "this is what mom thinks when she looks at me?" stacks.  I've sold patterns too.  Lots and lots of patterns and yet, my current holdings would frighten normal people I(but I love it!).  Le sigh.  So, yes, it's time to sew.

Think I'm exaggerating?  Check this out:

Pattern cabinet:  Sewing books and magazines are on the top shelf.  the bottom shelf is full of Hot Patterns, Jalie Patterns, Farbenmix Patterns and Studio Tantrum Patterns.

 The top draw houses vintage patterns and some modern patterns.  The bottom drawer has big 4 patterns and children's boutique and Big 4 patterns.
 More patterns - Vogue, Retro Big 4 patterns, overflow big 4 modern patterns and household/craft patterns.
 Cotton and cotton/spandex fabrics.  Love, love, love!!
 Solids, rayon challis, and vintage fabrics.
More fabric.  This is where crazy lives.  In the garage.  There are 15 of these totes in the garage.  Most have winter fabric (corduroy takes up a lot of room) and 4 of them have knits - solids and prints. Prior to my clean out, I had twice as many (all kinds of crazy, I know) totes of fabrics, all of which were mediocre, at best.  Good riddance!
And this is the picture of project number 1 and yes, I'm nervous. For some reason, whenever I come back from sewing hiatus, I assume I can no longer sew. It's stupid.  I made a muslin last night (I'm having to re-learn how to fit my body and it's new peri-menopausal shape, which is squishy despite months, weeks and hours of workouts.  Fashion fabric is cut (the one on the left) and I'm starting to sew.  I figure I'll make a mess of pencil skirts right out of the gate because that's what I wear to work everyday and then move on to summer dresses.  (Such grandiose plans, I know).
Well, that's it for now.  Nice to meet everyone.  I'm looking forward to seeing all of your lovely projects.

24 comments:

Dk's Wife said...

Good golly, you do have a stash of fabric and patterns, but what a palette you have to choose from!

Hello, and I cannot wait to see what you make.

Scheryka said...

What a stash. And please to meet you, Christy!

Marjorie said...

If this were a competition, I would totally pick you for my team. I am completely feeling the tote total. (I didn't even admit in my intro to anything that I consider "quilting"). We can be team "Hmmm, I've never been this shape before".

Christy Sews said...

Hahaha! I love it!

Christy Sews said...

Nice to meet you too

Christy Sews said...

It looks very pretty now that I've refolded and sorted everything. Talk about a huge project.

Mary said...

Hi Christy, When is your store open to the public? :-) I see some patterns and some fabric I could certainly use. Have fun sewing through this stash and your skirt pattern is wonderful.

Far said...

Hi Christy! I Love Your Stash Of Fabric And Patterns! OneSweet Day I Want To Have As Big A Stash As That To Choose From, Hehe :) Happy Sewing!

ozviking said...

I love the look of your stash. You have so much to choose from that sewing only from your stash should not be a problem for a few years? Doesn't it make a difference to your inspiration when you sort your stash and look at each fabric? I found many interesting fabrics that I had forgotten about. I look forward to seeing your skirts and everything else that follows.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Christy, so nice to meet you.. Love your beautiful fabric. lOok forward to seeing what you make, Happy sewing.

Christy Sews said...

It is really nice to have such a large selection from which to choose. It really comes in handy when it's gift giving time and I'm short on funds. I do love having everything I need right here, and that includes notions. I'm set for a while.

Christy Sews said...

Ha! I have a plan to enjoy myself quite a bit sewing from my stash and working my way toward a wardrobe I love---one that fits me and makes me happy. For me the joy is in the using of the things I have, so I'm really have to get back to sewing.

Christy Sews said...

You are correct -- I should be fine for a few years. The only purchases I anticipate are serger cones and thread for my machine. It really is lovely to be able to go in my sewing room and get to work without having to run to the store. And, like you, I did find fabrics I had forgotten about, specifically a peacock print stretch twill. It should be making an appearance soon.

Christy Sews said...

Nice to meet you too!! I love my fabric too. Some of the pieces may be destined to become artwork for the walls so I can see them every day.

Heather said...

So jealous of your stash! It looks fabulous!

Sam said...

Wow, that certainly is a stash and a half, isn't it!? It makes me seem like a complete beginner in fabric buying. I can't wait to see what you make with some of it.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Christy and welcome - it's nice to meet you and see your stash at long last. As you have probably gathered, we all love stashes - and yours is a fantastic one. Love the range you have.

And the patterns - Yum.

Everyone is a bit wobbly when they start back sewing - I started back this year after a break, and it's taken me until about now to start getting back into the swing of things - figuring out my fit now (a lot of us have the menopausal middle - I'm not big, but I've softened and rounded there!). Best thing is to dress for who you are now - which is what you are doing. Keep fit and eat well, and embrace your new shape with clothes that flatter now.

Far said...

Yup, U Need To Sew Them Down... Wont Want Those PRetty Stash To Age Too Much... I Have To Remind Myself Too... So That You Will Have The Space To Get New Fabric In Future!!!!

Linda said...

Wow, now that is a stash!! Glad you found your way to this blog.

Christy S said...

Thanks. I love it!

Christy S said...

Yes, indeed it is. Of course, it's taken a lot of years to cultivate it. Now it's time to use it all up. Yay!!

Christy S said...

Thanks. I dislike the weird body stuff. And I thought puberty was strange. Le sigh. Oh well, I am going to try to keep my focus on getting healthy, first and foremost. And try to overhaul my diet, while sewing and training for Tough Mudder.

Christy S said...

Me too! Thanks Linda.

Dorothy DotDot said...

This is a major stash! I bet it's nice to have what you need at your home.