Saturday, June 8, 2013

A little refashion and a somewhat usable muslin

I have two new items this beautiful Saturday.

I turned some nicely fitted boot-cut, too long jeans into some skinnies.....




Yardage on this?  I don't know.  Does anyone have a suggestion?  I actually had these sitting in a TODO pile with stash for a few months, but would have no idea what to claim for yardage.
My NL A6735 View B muslin is complete, but still not awesome.  It will most likely be used as a pajama top, but it is almost a perfect fit save the front neckline, which I will adjust on the paper pattern right now for the next round.   About 1.5 yards used on this top.
I just received my newest toy and did some body mapping.  Sarah was absolutely right, I am definitely an inverted triangle.  I cranked the bust/waist to its highest setting (then stuffed a bra and padded the tummy) while cranking the hips to their smallest setting (which was still bigger than I am, but close to correct.  You can sorta tell this by the fit on the skirt I just finished.   Ah, the joys of fitting.
My chiffon skirt needs the hem, so it will be debuted soon!

8 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Great job.. You have got a lot done. I love the color of your skirt. So pretty.. And love t-shirts.

Mary said...

You are cruising through all your projects! I love the colors on your dressform.

Dk's Wife said...

Great job on the jeans transformation. That skirt is such a pretty color.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Heather - the jeans look great. I think for a refashion like this, I'll just call it a refashion. It's actually quite tedious altering clothes, but they look a lot more suitable for the current trends.

PJ top looks fantastic - always a great idea to use muslins for something. I hate tossing something that I have spent time developing - waste of both time, money and stash.

Love your dress double - I'm an inverted triangle as well - My dummy isn't small enough in the hips either - one inch bigger than me. I want a new dummy, but so many of them are much bigger than my ancient one in the hips - some are quite curvy or else pear shape. Soft padding is a great way to go - I have old bras and t'shirts to make adjustments - bodies sort of change as well, so improvisation is essential :)

Far said...

I Have A Dressform As My Last Yr Birthday Present BuT I Haven't Padded It to Be My Double..Hehe... Right Now I Use It Solely For Me To See How My Clothes Hang On It, Coz I Crank The Upper To Approx. My Size...

Far said...

Ohh, And I M Also Planning To Skinnify My White Jeans/Pants. I Hope It Will Be A Success Like Yours...Do U Pin Yourself OR U Baste It While Wearing Inside Out? Cant tell

Heather said...

I put them on inside out, pinned, then took them off carefully (ouch) and basted and rechecked the fit before serging.

Scheryka said...

Now you have great fit skinny pant! I love skinnies. I made a pair from my J. Stern pattern right before the start of the style your stash. Even though they don't qualify, I will post them here modeled with a top I am going to make to wear them. Good job on the refashion.