Sunday, June 9, 2013

A Perfect Reason for NOT Stashing!!!



Warning this too can happen to you .... several years ago I picked up this lovely piece of wool gabardine from an OP shop.

It had obviously been much loved and cherished and been part of someone's valuable stash (wool gaberdine's are very hard to come by in my part of the world). It smelled of camphour and mothballs, so had been carefully stored (reminded me of my Nana's :-) ). Unfortunately, the mothballs hadn't worked.

Even with the moth holes, there was still plenty of fabric to work with, about 5m, in fact. So for the princely sum of $6, it was mine, but I can't help thinking that the original owner missed out by not making this fabric into some wonderful garment...

Anyway, after washing the fabric, I marked all the holes with safety pins, then made a lovely pair of warm winter pants. Several kilos in weight heavier, they were past on to Vinnies (St Vincent de Paul charity shop). Eyeing this fabric again, and with several cold, overcast days looming, I decided it was time to use the remaining piece of this fabric.

I carefully laid my pattern pieces, avoiding the safety pins ... phew! enough fabric, even a smidge more. One pin had me puzzled, second check, no, no holes.

The pants were cut, the lining was cut, on to the fiddly rear pockets ... tick, done. Just a steam press, and they can be assembled.

OH! NO! ...... when I lifted the left back leg up from the ironing board the light caught the tiniest 3 (almost) holes (obviously the mystery safety pin!!) By now, there simply wasn't enough fabric to cut another back.

Normally, I'd toss the project, but I love this fabric, and more importantly I need the warm pants. There was nothing else to do but attempt a spot (or 3) of fabric weaving to make the repairs. I spent 2 1/2hrs yesterday fixing what could have been avoided. At worst, I'll have some warm pants for a couple of months, and to be honest, now the repairs are done, it's no worse than a slub in the yarn.

So the moral of this story is, sew your good stuff.





6 comments:

Far said...

You Are Definitely Right! I Had The Same Problem Once. Thrifted Some Really Nice Black Bottom Weight Wool Fabric, Saw Some Tiny Holes.... I Thought I Can Make A Dress, But Just Enough For The Skirt Part Of Dress....

Mary said...

Janine, thank you for reminding us to NOT save the special stuff for when we 1)have the right pattern 2)have lost/gained weight 3)get better at sewing 4)have time ...on and on... I'm glad you were able to save the work.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Janine, you are so right.. I have had this happen to me too.. SO proud you were able to salvage the fabric.

Heather said...

So glad you were able to save these. It looks beautiful.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Janine, how annoying, disappointing and frustrating - I've been caught out too with tiny holes - and forgetting what I already worked out years before. Yes, do wear the pants - it will annoy you, but after all that work it would be a shame to toss them - and be left with nothing - I've done plenty of that in the pursuit of non existent perfect :)

Unusable fabric was what sort of propelled this sew a long - I made up some linen and it tore - it was so old it had weakened. Then I realised that fabric doesn't last forever and nor do we :)

Dk's Wife said...

Oh no. So sorry this happened. I think in life we are all like that w/ our good things - be it our nice china, glasses, clothing, and our fabric. We should use our nice things and enjoy them. Good moral, but very sorry it happened.