Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Dkswife 1st Stash Busting Project - Peacock Feather Skirt

I made the above skirt yesterday.

The picture isn't the greatest since I used my cell phone, but it is so pretty, and fits really well.  It is a simple Drindl skirt.  I estimate the size to be a medium.  The fabric is 100% cotton.  Actually, it is a nice quality quilting cotton.  This is probably my favorite skirt length as I try to dress as conservatively as possible.  I have a couple of shorter skirts, but would much rather keep them longer. 

The sweater is thrifted.  I paid a sweet 25 cents for it!  LOL  The tank that I am wearing underneath it is thrifted as well.  I am pretty sure I paid 25 cents for it too.  Oh, and the shoes are thrifted.  They are brand new Naturalizers that I paid $3.00.  Nothing like a deal!

Well this is my first Stash Busting Sew-Along project.  I have another skirt to tackle this month out of some stash knit.

Take care and God bless!

16 comments:

Far said...

That's A Sweet Skirt, I Love The Peacock Motifs On It. Did Yo Have Scallops On TheHem Of The Skirt? Looks Like Scallops In The Photo.. :) And You Look Great Too! I Miss Paying A Quarter At The Thrift StorE!!! That Was How I Amassed Most Of My Pattern.Stash To This Size :)

Beverly said...

Very nice. I really like using quilting cottons too.

Mary said...

So wonderful. I love the colors, and the thriftiness you are modeling here. Well done!

Dk's Wife said...

Far, I did not cut the scallops, but it kind of looks like I did because the background fabric is a very dark teal, and I took the hem right up to the bottom of the scallops.

Dk's Wife said...

Yes, quilting cottons are for more than just quilting LOL

Dk's Wife said...

Thanks so much! I am a tightwad! :p

Scheryka said...

Peacocks, yummy. I love the colors. It's also good to thrift pieces, too. I have few I want to refashion.

Janine said...

Such a great outfit. I love the colours.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Oh, I love the peacock skirt.. Just perfect with your thrifted sweater.. I like that length skirt too..
Happy sewing.
ps I love to find deals.. Just makes me soooo happy. And 25 cents is WONDERFUL!!!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Kay, lots of us are thrifters here - I still thrift, and I donate lots too - nothing like keeping it going around.

The skirt is lovely - it's hard to get pretty prints unless you use quilting cotton.

Its a really pretty skirt - how much did you use - I think it would be great to keep a stash count of yards used.

I like conservative styles - if that's what suits you and what you like you would not feel comfortable wearing anything else. If you feel uncomfortable emotionally, you won't look good.

The hem does look scalloped which adds to the lovely peacock feather effect.

Dk's Wife said...

I am sorry. I forgot too add the yardage. I used roughly 1-1/2 yards.

Dk's Wife said...

Also wanted to add that I donate two or three times a year because I do thrift store shop so much. I get rid of things that I no longer want to wear.

Dk's Wife said...

Thanks. I have another piece of peacock fabric that I need to post a picture of on here so you guys can give me some ideas how to use it. It is stunning, but the peacocks are big, so I want to use it where it will not look weird. :)

Dk's Wife said...

Thanks so much Janine!

Dk's Wife said...

Thanks SBM. I am a thrift store shopper from way back LOL

Hana said...

Lovely skirt in gorgeous fabric!