Saturday, June 1, 2013

Far: Yes, you, hello there! :)



Hi everyone! My name is Far and I am a stashaholic wannabe! After looking at some of your lovely fabric stashes, I can say to my husband, with confidence, that I don't have near enough fabric in mine!!! Not by a long shot! Hehehe...

We have a toddler we call the Bean (since in the tummy) who's turning 3 in a few months, and the three of us currently live in Seattle, Washington State.

I kinda refer to myself as a sewing enthusiast, coz I am "new" and self taught and just have been winging it since I became a full time SAHM not quite two years ago.  I love to refashion my old clothes, and sometimes also clothes I bought at the thrift store to refashion. I sew from patterns, but I guess I like to modify them a lot (pattern design/shape) and mix and match features. I sometimes sew for the Bean, but have never sewn for the hubby yet, other than minor alterations. (Planned to for his birthday present this year... A linen shirt probably...)

One thing I realized after seeing all of your posts here so far is that I don't know how much I have of each pieces of fabric (which is a huge problem when wanting to sew something and then don't have enough length of the fabric, or the leftover won't be enough for anything else), and also since our apartment is tiny, I do not have the space to see all of my fabric. I can't help the space, but I can definitely start addressing the first problem. 

Started to sort out and measure the first two 16 qt (not big) containers of my most treasured fabrics:
I do have a lot of prints in this 2 tubs, don't I?


My aim is to take picture of each piece, and type the description and measurement, and have a system like Sarah Liz's, and/or have it stored on my blog which I use more like an online diary of what I made than anything :)

I still have 5 tubs of treasured fabric to go:

And 2 linen closets that contained quilting cottons, and pieced quilt tops not yet quilted (left pic), a mixture of lining fabrics, big enough leftovers/scraps, yet to be sorted recently thrifted fabrics (middle pic):

Oh, and I am also a pattern hoarder (right pic). I stopped counting at a hundred long ago. They are no longer sorted. I pulled out a bunch (on the table in picture above) of probable jacket/coat/pants/skirt/top that I might work on for this stash sew-a-long. But knowing me, I might even go back to the drawers again - put back some, pull out others before ever starting on one ;)

I think I'm kinda torn between trying and wanting to organize and document, and to just sit down and start a project... Headache!!!

:) Sarah Liz, like the rest of the ladies, I would like to thank you for hosting this sew-a-long, and getting us and the blog together. 

I'm imagining myself chatting with you all about sewing and fabric over hot choc (or whatever your beverage of choice are) while we sew our stash down to make space for more new ones in the future!

Warmest regards,
Far

15 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Far,
Love your stash..You do have some beautiful fabrics.. I love your idea , to tell the hubby, you need more.. [I have that idea a lot.ha]
I too would love to get my fabric sorted out and know how much I have. And have it recorded..
My goal , is to sew from my stash and not buy more...
Looking forward to sewing with all of you. Happy sewing
ps Your Little Bean is cute..

Scheryka said...

Hi, Far! What do you mean you don't have nearly as much fabric!? You are not too far behind. Plus, you have some great printed treasures there. Beautiful fabric.

Mrs. Smith said...

What an awesome collection of lovely fabrics!

Mary said...

You have surpassed me!

Jacq C said...

Hi, you have lots of great fabric - I'm pretty sure I don't even have a stash compared to most people - this is pretty dangerous thinking for me! I love your idea of us all having a virtual chat - my beverage of choice is Earl Grey, I do like a nice cup of tea :D

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Far, for a beginner you have probably surpassed all of us lol's. I mean some of us have taken 20 years to build a decent stash - and look what you have managed in 2 years. The sky's the limit with you, Far! I love your picture of Bean, I wondered how he got his name.

I'd love to sit and have a hot choccy with you and look through those patterns - nothing like a a good pattern afternoon.

Far said...

Hi Judy! :) so nice to meet you...and thanks! Hehe... I have been planting in my hubby 's head that bit by bit 'casually' since everybody start posting their stash.... ;)
also aim to sew from stash and not buy more... hopefully... I haven't purchase new fabric in a few months, but during memorial weekend did purchase 2 pieces I found at Goodwill.... oops...
Now to decide what to make first.... Happy sewing to you too :)

Far said...

Watch out, am catching up Scheryka!!! Hehehe....Thanks, I love my fabric, but problem is, I love them too much to cut into them and ruining them :( I'm not good yet... :(

Far said...

Thanks Nakisha! :)

Far said...

Hi Mary!!! No... they are just small tubs of fabric... hehehe...

Far said...

Hi Jacq.... hmmmm tea, I like tea, will make sure you have your earl grey :) you don't think u have a stash? It's okay, once you've made up some of the fabric you have, you will have the perfect reason to build a stash! After all, it's a no guilt sew a long, and you of all of us won't have to feel guilty at all hehehe.......

Far said...

Lol! gosh just imagine how much fabric I'll have in 5-10 years! Hehehe... a few of them pre dates my sewing, back to 6-7 years... I just love fabric, what can I say... I love silks, because we usually have our traditional dresses in silk (cooling and soft), but have no idea about bottom weight fabric and knits... that's the gap for me. I had some ok success when getting knits online or in shop, but some misses too... worst is this rayon jersey I got. Mind you, it was at a store, I touched it love it so soft. But when I sew it into a t-shirt of some sort, it's hmmm felt heavy, and it clings to the bumps like nobody's business :( what will be the best fabric for soft but not clingy and not shiny t-shirt type?

Far said...

Just had a cup of hot choc here. Oh yes, the Bean, well I think it was one of those thosepregnancy books I had on the stages of pregnancy. Your baby is the size of a kidney bean right now, bla bla bla... and we start to refer to him as the Bean and that stuck till now. We don't call him Bean to his face as a name, so he won't answer to it, but we refer to him as the Bean (as in the baby, the boy) to each other ;)

Scheryka said...

Practice makes better! Buy cheap muslin or the fabrics at Walmart. You won't be too upset if something doesn't turn out exactly how you want it. Use that to tweak the next one.
Go ahead, catch up and pass! Oops, did I just enable you to purchase more fabric? ;)

Far said...

Haven't Seen A Wally Here In Seattle Yet! But I Got SomeFabric At The Thrift Store And EvEn Curtains To Use As Muslin.... :) hehe