Sunday, June 2, 2013

Finally .... a view of Lene's stash

Hi, I am Lene and I live in Perth, Western Australia. I have recently retired from paid work, and now I am training for my first ever marathon. Yes, it is mad to start something like that at my age. I will probably walk a lot of the way, but I now have time to actually do some training after so many years of doing nothing.

It took me a while .... but finally I got my stash into the kind of order I am happy for other people to see.

Before I do that, however, I want to thank Sarah Liz for dreaming up this forum for all of us to contribute to, but also for actually putting her idea into being. This idea of 'Styling our stash' is so inspirational. Rather than simply using up our stashes, the focus is now more on creating something really special. Well, that is how I see it anyway.

Because of this shift of focus, in my mind, I decided to really go through my stash. I mean really go through it, and I am amazed at what I found that I had forgotten about. I also looked at my fabrics with new eyes and started dreaming of what they could become - given time :)

I thought I had a lot of fabrics, but after seeing what everyone else has posted, I no longer feel quite so bad.

 

above is the top of my cupboard, with some of my sewing books and here is the bottom of the cupboard with a couple of shoe boxes full of patterns.

In addition I have four and a half years worth of Burda Style Magazines. I find that I can usually find a pattern in one of those mags that are similar to patterns from the big 4 or independent pattern makers.

I have sorted and folded my fabrics and placed into piles that make sense to me. I also measured each piece and used old business cards (being retired, I no longer need them) to record the width and measurement as well as composition, if known. In addition I attached a little cutting of each fabric to the card. I have yet to add up how many metres of fabric I have, but I think there is a lot.

Finally I must confess that I have quite a few garments in my cupboard that are never worn due to bad fit, style or colour. I plan to modify or recreate something with those garments as well.

My blog is http://ozviking.wordpress.com but I haven't blogged for nearly a year.

17 comments:

Beverly said...

Hi Lene. Your fabric is so neat! I looked at your blog, your birthday dress is so pretty.

ozviking said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ozviking said...

Hi Beverly - Thanks for the nice words. I'm sure it won't stay neat for very long :) but for now it gives me a lot of pleasure. However, I need to get sewing, mess up the fabric and get creating.

Sam said...

Your stash is so beautifully organised! I wish I had space to display mine so nicely. Maybe if I didn't have a stash of knitting yarn as well it would be easier!

ozviking said...

Thanks Sam, but looking good is much better when the fabric is made into well fitting garments - and that will take some time :)

Hana said...

Hi Lene! You had a lot of beautiful fabrics in your stash. I can not wait to see your projects:)

Scheryka said...

Hi Lene! Your stash is so neat! I thought I was browsing an upscale online fabric boutique!

Mary said...

Hi Lene, beautiful organization. Love the fact that your stash is visible.

Far said...

Ola Lene! What a lovely stash you have, all organized and easy to get to.I too hopped over to your blog and saw your lovely birthday dress. I love it!!!
Happy sewing!

Janine said...

Hi Lene, good to see another Aussie onboard.
I need to hold your stash organisation up as my goal - it looks wonderful and so easy to locate items.

ozviking said...

Thank you Hana, I really like your colour block dress - absolutely gorgeous

ozviking said...

Giggle, if only you knew the amount of work that went into folding and measuring.

ozviking said...

It is good to be able to scan the fabrics without having to open boxes

ozviking said...

Thank Far - I wonder what it will look like in 6 months time........

ozviking said...

I wish you lived in Perth! I could really do with a fitting buddy and Sydney is a bit far to go on a regular basis.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hello Lene and welcome - glad to see you here at long last:) Your stash is nice to look at now - it does give a lot of pleasure getting the stash in order - you sort of feel you have accomplished something somehow :)

It is a pity we are scattered so far and wide - I'm sure we would all love to meet up - and a help to fit session would be wonderful, in real life.

Jacq C said...

Hi Lene, nice to meet you. You are so organised, looking forward to seeing what you make :)