Monday, June 3, 2013

First Project is Underway

The weather this past weekend has been wet, cold and very grey. The upside to the miserable weather is some guilt free sewing time.

Last month I spent all my sewing time making a collection of tops for winter wear, so with this in mind, it was time for some co-ordinating pants.

Having tried numerous patterns for pants over the years, I've finally had quite good success using the OttobreWoman magazine pants patterns. While my pants still need a little tweeking, this is the best pattern I have used so far. Their draft is very similar to Burda with the longer crotch. This jeans style pant is one of my favourites for casual wear.



While the original pattern is for stretch capris, I have, in the past, used the same pattern to make full length pants. I find by lengthening this pattern 10cm, I get a pant length that can be worn with a 2-3cm heel.



I discovered 2 x 2m lengths of pinwale black cord in the stash. The first pair of pants are just about finished (just need to add the studs and button closing) and I'll cut the second pair later today - just need to get a spot of housework done first :-(

These will work with all the new tops, plus fill a gap in the wardrobe left when I tore the knee out of a pair of cords last week moving wood.

Happy Sewing
Janine

11 comments:

Far said...

You Are A Fast Worker! I Love Cords, Esp THe Ones With StrectH In Them! Dont Have Them In The StasH But I Do Have A Piece Of Brown Cord Fabric Found T Goodwill (No Stretch) That I May Be Able To Practice Sewing Skirts With.... Your Pants Will Be Lovely!

ozviking said...

Your pants look great - can't wait to see a photo of you wearing them.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

I love cords too.. Such a good wearing pants.. Know you will get lots of use from the navy ones.. happy sewing.

Mary said...

Cozy cords!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Janine - is it stretch cord or plain cord? I guess if it is plain you are just making the pattern up a little larger than you would in stretch. Looking forward to seeing how these go.

At least being short you can get pants out of 2 metres :)

Dk's Wife said...

Oh, I cannot wait to see your cords. I have one pair of cords and wear them all the time in the winter! Have fun sewing them.

Janine said...

the cord I'm using is an ordinary cord, but since I've lost a little weight, I'm able to use the original pattern I traced. I'll need to go down a size when I use a stretch next.

Hana said...

Hi janine! I am impressed with your work. Can not wait to see it on you:)

redpointtailor said...

It will be excited. I love to see this capris!

Beverly said...

I really like cords. Would love to see a picture of them on you.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Thank you Janine - so there are pros and cons to losing weight - another retracing :)