Thursday, June 6, 2013

Hello everyone!  My name is Denise and I blog as Dottie Doodle.  I particularly love vintage fabric and I'm very lucky that we have some great vintage dealers where I live (Devon in the UK).  

It's a problem though,  because if I see something I like I know it won't be there next time - so the stash grows and grows!  So this is a great idea, thank you to everyone involved.  Hope it will keep me motivated to use some of my stash.  Here goes....


This is a 1930s batik from Bali.  I've had it for about three years and it deserves to be seen, not stuck in a drawer.  You can't see from the photo, but the fabric is damaged, with small burn holes, so I feel ok about cutting it up.  I think I will make a Sewaholic Cambie dress, using the blue border for the bodice.
2013stashbusting 001batik
2013stashbusting 002batik

I've only got small amounts of the next two fabrics.  They are both vintage, I'm not sure how old.  The Kelly skirt might be a good pattern for them, as it doesn't use much fabric.
2013stashbusting 005

The green print below on the left is vintage Laura Ashley.  I was on a fabric buying ban when I bought it (ho ho), but couldn't resist the  colour and bright flashes of pink in the print.  It's going to be a dress, but I'm not sure which one.

I'm going to make pyjamas for Karen's Pyjama Party from the pale blue brushed cotton - also vintage.  These two fabric were from Fountain Antiques in Devon.
2013stashbusting 004

Finally, a couple of modern Liberty prints for summer dresses.
2013stashbusting 003

I've got plenty more, but thought I'd try to stick to an achievable list.  Will keep you posted!

Ooh, and talking of stash busting, I've been sorting out some patterns and have a giveaway going on this month.  You can find out more at dottiedoodle.wordpress.com .

12 comments:

ozviking said...

Such beautiful fabrics .... I can understand that you are hesitant in cutting into them. However I am sure you will create some beautiful garments as you always do - I have been following you for a long time :)

Heather said...

Great fabrics there! I look forward to your stash busting projects.

Dottie Doodle said...

Oh, thank you!

Scheryka said...

Welcome, glad to have you help bust up some stash with us! I have several pieces I don't want to cut for fear of jacking them up!

Sam said...

Oh my goodness, I had a Laura Ashley dress in that green LA fabric, I'm sure. (Mid-late 1980's?)

That vintage batik from Bali is beautiful, I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Denise.. So proud your joining in on the stash sew along.. These fabrics are beautiful . Can't wait to see what you make.. Happy sewing.

Mary said...

Hi Denise, Welcome. I absolutely love your fabrics. I usually don't buy vintage fabrics or repro vintage but I always admire it. You have some lovely pieces.

Janine said...

Welcome Denise. Look forward to seeing your vintage fabrics made into something that you'll enjoy wearing.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Denise and Welcome - it's fantastic to have a someone who enjoys vintage in this sew-a-long - it's always nice to see what other people design and create with fabrics - and the resulting cross fertilization of ideas may lead all of us into interesting new directions :)

Dottie Doodle said...

Got to be brave!

Dottie Doodle said...

Really?! I often wonder if anyone will recognise the vintage fabric, and you're the first person to do so!

Dottie Doodle said...

Thank you ! Love reading about everyone else's stash and feeling inspired.