Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hello Fabric Stashers!

My name is Heather.  I have been living in Vienna, Austria for the past 4+ years and working as a computer programmer at the International Atomic Energy Agency.  I am married, no kids and I have far too many hobbies, all of which I love.
I started knitting back in 2004, seriously in 2009, then picked up spinning in 2010, quilting in 2012 and sewing garments just about 4 months ago.  Yup, I definitely have crafting ADD.  My fabric stash is super, super tiny compared to everyone else's here.  Lest you worry that I am not a stasher, here is my yarn/fiber stash.
Here is what is left of the summer fabric acquisition.  I sewed a whole lot during MMM '13, so my summer wardrobe is actually pretty rockin right now.
 This is a finished quilt top and back needing to be sandwiched/quilted and the obligatory scrap pile (fabric stashbusting ideas always welcome here!)
 The quilting cottons......
The rest is fabric for muslins, background fabric for quilting, a little bit of lining fabric and canvas for bags....
I know this looks super tiny, but I am sure I would have more if I wasn't living in this apartment in Vienna.  I dream of my return to the US and a whole, dedicated craft room!  Since I move in January, that also means that I need to minimize the amount of stuff that I have to ship back (I have given up this idea for yarn and fiber)......
So, why am I here with such a wee stash?  I asked Sarah if I could join you to knock around ideas for a capsule wardrobe.  I will mostly be buying along the way given my current stash situation.  I hope you don't mind, but I am really picking your brains for information, camaraderie and as a virtual sewing circle of kinds.
Since the summer sewing is nearly done (I reserve the right to completely ignore that statement at any point), I am planning a fall/winter capsule.  This is where I am beginning.
From left to right:
1.Stretchy charcoal gray fabric for skirt or pants (don't know what or which pattern)
2. That beautiful red silk will become a skirt (maybe something like Gertie's pintuck skirt, but not high-waisted)
3. The red/black houndstooth wool and red lining fabric next to it will become a jacket.  I have one pattern that is a contender out of the latest Burda Style, but would make long arms and not 3/4 length.  I also do love the non-peplum rullfe version of Sewaholic Cordova jacket
4. The black demin would ideally become jeans, once I figure out pant fitting.
Fabric not yet acquired for:
1. Robson coat
2. A dirndl to wear to Oktoberfest my last year near Bavaria.... I am hoping to make it wearable without the apron, maybe something like this?
3. An updated version of the little black dress.  This should do it....
4. Plenty of blouses and shirts to go with it all
5. Something in a coordinating knit (cardi, probably).

I sew because I want things to fit.  I am getting better at it, but I am still unsure of some modifications.  Part of the problem is that I can't seem to figure out my body type.  I am only 5'2" (157 cm), but not petite.  Petite clothing creeps up my crack and makes me cranky.  I'm short-waisted, don't have much of a waist, have plenty of boobs, but not outrageously so.  My hips are the same measure as my bust.  So, I sometimes think I'm an apple, sometimes a rectangle and sometimes and inverted triangle.   In any case, my fitting issues are ever-present and real.  Because of my height I also try to avoid lots of flouncy, ruffly, layered stuff, and if I attempt to wear stuff that's high-waisted I look like a boob with skirt/pants.  LOL.  Glad I can laugh at myself.  Let's just say, the typical pear-shaped patterns on the market are not kind to me.

Can't wait to get started.  This month I've already got a simple skirt/blouse nearly done, and the pant-fitting adventure now begins.  Thank you, Sarah for having this inspiring idea!

21 comments:

Dk's Wife said...

Welcome! I am sure you will find many great ideas on this blog!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Heather, any stasher, with any size stash is welcome - no rules here about how long you've had it or whether it qualifies as stash...also we have quite a few reprobates here who are going to top up their stashes, and plenty of us eying each other's stashes with envy. It doesn't matter if you are a newbie sewer, all that matters is you start some sewing on that stash - and you have plenty of plans. I'm not a pear either - I'm a borderline petite, angular, inverted triangle-rectangle - but not so curvy as you. It isn't easy to fit non standard figures - especially the dreaded p word (pants). All I can say is that I'v worked out what I make is marginally better in the fit department than RTW.

PS - forgot to say welcome

Heather said...

Yes, I am trying my first pant muslin today. Not looking forward to it. Thanks for the warm welcome!

ozviking said...

Hello Heather. I wish you good luck with overcoming your fit issues and impressing everyone with you stylish home creations. I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Also I am quite envious of you living in Vienna. A beautiful city with so much culture and history.

Beverly said...

Welcome Heather. You may not have a large stash, but you have some beautiful fabrics.

Scheryka said...

I second that, Sarah! "reprobates" ~ Lol

Scheryka said...

Welcome Heather! I love that second photo shot! I'm eyeing your dots....

Mary said...

HI Heather-I laughed out loud when I saw your fiber stash! :-)

Far said...

Hi Heather! I too have fitting issues! LOL.. hopefully by end of this year I can have a whole outfit styled together better, that fits better! Happy sewing!

Janine said...

hi Heather.
Putting my hand up too re: fit issues!!
I'm also 5'2" - all in the legs (or missing). When I drive my 6' DF's car, he has the seat raised so my hair brushes the roof, but I need to pull the seat as far forward as it will go.

Heather said...

Right? LOL. I just made a trip to the Wollmeise store and my cabinet floweth over. Meanwhile, I picked up a new hobby and haven't knit much at all lately. ;-)

Heather said...

I love those dots and have no idea what to do with them. It is a crepe chiffon and see through. If you have an idea, let me know!

Heather said...

Sounds like me! Let me know if you have luck with pants. I tried the vogue pant pattern last night in a muslin, and it was huge! Back to the drawing board.....

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Looks like quite a few of us have fitting issues - pants invariably big and baggy around the backside - usually about 6 inches "ease" in each leg for me!

And just wait until you see the rear of some of these pants - seriously scary!

Heather said...

I actually thought I might ditch the Vogue pattern and try the Burda pattern here:
http://www.burdastyle.com/pattern_store/patterns/retro-blouse-and-pant-suit-062013

Maybe this slim fit will do us better? I think it's worth a muslin at least.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Put it to one side for a while so you can compare later. I've yet to try a burda pants pattern but they may well be different hips, thighs, crotch. Why not lay the burda pattern over the vogue one to see what the differences are. Also a lot of commercial patterns are large in thighs- may need to go down a size and add for tum and waist. Also check crotch depth.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Heather, I'm just off to bed (got a headcold today) - will reply tomorrow about trousers.

Heather said...

The crotch depth seemed good, which is odd given my height. No wonder petite fit pants don't work for me! Good idea overlaying the patterns! I will take a look tonight, since I know how/where the Vogue are baggy on me.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Welcome.. Can't wait to see what you make.. So fun!!
Love the polka dot, it is so pretty.. Happy sewing.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Heather, regarding crotch - I'm not sure if you are like me, but I have a very high rise even though I'm just 5'4".

Jacq C said...

Hi Heather, another 5'2" with fit issues here - we could form a club! :)