Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hello from Utah, United States

Hi, my name is Ellen. I figured out that I can shorten the spelling of my name with two simple letters: LN. That's why I named my blog LNsews.blogspot.com. I am a stay-at-home mom whose six children have all grown up and moved out, and are now blessing me with grandchildren--our 15th was born just three weeks ago. I am excited to be a part of this sew-along, and I thank Sarah Liz for starting it. I'm excited about the low-pressure rules that give encouragement, and I'm looking forward to sharing my sewing adventures with others who are joining in as well.

My stash isn't very big compared to so many that I've seen. I've picked up a few cotton remnants here and there, and they are mostly cutesy things that would make cute little girls' dresses. I find that it's much easier to sew little girls' dresses than it is to sew something for myself, and it seems that I'm not the only one who struggles with sewing for oneself, so I'm glad for that, too. It makes me feel like we're all in this together. Besides the cutesy cotton fabrics, I've also got some brown wool suiting that I hope to make a jacket out of, some rayon knit that I'm hoping to make a sweater set out of, and a few other odd pieces that I hope to make a dress and a top or two out of. My main goal with this sew-along is to learn to make some dresses and tops and maybe a few skirts as well (but probably not pants as I'm not feeling that brave yet!) that fit and that I feel good about wearing. I'd like to build up my wardrobe with me-made items.

Right now, though, I'm finishing up a big sewing project that's keeping me from sewing anything else. My son is getting married in 10 days, and I've been busy sewing little girls' pink dresses and little boys' gray vests--ten dresses and seven vests--for the bride's and groom's nieces and nephews to wear at the wedding. When I volunteered to sew all those outfits, I guess I didn't realize how long it would take! It is truly a labor of love. I'm finally working on the last dress, though, and when they're all done I'll post pictures on my blog. Also, when they're all done, I hope to get MY dress, or, rather, skirt and jacket, sewn up for the wedding. I'm feeling a bit of pressure with the time crunch that I'm under, so that's why I haven't introduced myself on this blog until now. But, I wanted to at least post something before we get too far into this sew-along. So, here I am! Once the wedding is over, I hope to be back a little more often, sharing some projects that I'll be sewing from my stash.

I wanted to include a picture of myself. This one was taken in February in the mountains of Park City, Utah, going cross-country skiing--something that I hope to do more of next winter.


11 comments:

ozviking said...

Hi Ellen! I am so impressed with the amount of sewing you are doing for the wedding. It sounds like a horrible nightmare to me, but it must also be so satisfying seeing everyone you love dressed in your own creations. I can't wait to see the photos of all everyone all dressed up. I hope you will have enough time to finish your own outfit. That, of course, will be the most important photo to show us. Good luck!

Mary said...

Hi LN, and welcome aboard. Have fun at your son's wedding, and enjoy seeing all those dresses and vests.

Scheryka said...

Hi, LN! Please to meet you here in Stash Land! Happy sewing!

Far said...

Hi Ellen! 15 Grandkids! How Fun! Hope That You Get To Get Done With The LittlePeople Clothes For The Wedding And Plenty Of Time To Make Yours And Then Rest Too Before Your Son's Big Day :) Happy Sewing!!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Ellen,
SO proud your joining in.. I look forward to see what you make. I too, am a grandma, I have 5 grandchildren, and I sew for them a lot.. and I find it much more difficult to sew for me.[This ole body is not shaped, like it use to be, lol]
Best wishes to your son on his upcoming wedding..

Marjorie said...

You and I are in the same boat. I have lots of experience sewing little girls clothes and sewing for myself (in it's current curvy state) is quite a challenge. And we're nearly neighbors (in an Intermountain West kind of way) since I'm in Boise. I'm sure we have stash from the same stores.

Dk's Wife said...

Hello. Nice to meet you! I am excited to see what you create. I do not sew for kids, just mainly myself, and sometimes my husband.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hello Ellen and welcome - it's nice to have you here - what a lot you have on your plate at the moment - but I am sure we would love to see your progress on this wedding - it's sewing, it's fabric, so it counts :)

Weddings do take a lot of sewing- sometimes it's just as well we don't know what is involved, or we wouldn't do it. Wait til the day - you will be so proud. Good luck with it all.

Janine said...

Hi Ellen and welcome. Great photo. We love to ski, but only have a very short season here - officially opens 2nd weekend in June (rarely any snow to ski), closes last weekend in September (lucky if there's snow still), and we're often skiing on man made snow.

Heather said...

Welcome to the group, and I do hope you get those dresses and vests done soon.

Ellen Walker said...

Thank you, all of you, for your kind comments. I'll be posting pictures of the wedding outfits soon. I love reading about all your projects!