Sunday, June 30, 2013

I got the blues...#5,6,7,8

A major part of my beach capsule (mini wardrobe) is New Look 6838.
I want to have a few cute and flattering tees to go with some loose fitting beach pants.  I spend the winter in the desert and then on the Sea of Cortez (in a small fishing town in Mexico).  It's windy and sometimes cold.  So I need a few clothes that are easy to wear and clean, plus will provide protection fromthe sun and wind.

I have 2 tees done-one has 3/4 sleeves and a boat neck; the other is sleeveless.  Want to see them?  I used the same fabric which is a soft sweater knit.  It is super comfy.  I know these are going to be faves in my wardrobe.

The pants I envision are also from NL 6838 but I haven't had the same luck with the fit.
I cut and sewed a small for the muslin, after looking at the finished measurements on the tissue.  Oh lordy, do I have some clown pants!  And, I do not know how I did this, but the pockets are right at my thighs...???

Here they are.  Don't snort too loud.


These made great pj pants.  My DH is camping and I know he'll enjoy laughing at me when he returns.
Never give up is my motto sometimes. :-)  I tried again, and cut an extra small, with modification on the hip curve.  I shaved even more off.  These are almost wearable in public.
more pjs

My plan is to take a break from clown college, and sew a dress. Stay tuned for the third and real version, sure to be a wonderful beach item.

Yardage used: 3/4 sleeve top=1 1/2 yds
                      sleeveless top=1 yd
                      pants #1=2 7/8 yds (45")
                      pants #2=2 7/8 yds (45")

9 comments:

Hana said...

Such a very cute tees and fit you perfectly. I am looking forward to see the real pants.
I also love your floral skirt above, it's pretty:)

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Mary , Love your tshirt pattern.. Both turned out really well.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Mary, the tops are lovely, as you say, likely to be favourites and well worn.

The pants - welcome to my muslin wadder camp:) Glad you have a sense of humour - but the fabric chosen is great for PJ's, at least. Now you have plenty of them:)

Dk's Wife said...

Pants are so hard to perfect - don't give up. It takes a while to get it exactly right. Your t-shirts are very pretty, and you are wearing them w/ that pretty skirt you made.

Linda said...

Nice vacay wardrobe.

Beverly said...

Both tops are nice & look good with the skirt. You're doing what I've done in the past. My practice pants became my pj's.

redpointtailor said...

Lovely tops! Both pants are great!

Theresa said...

Mary, You really know how to rock a boat neck, looks great on you! Think of the clown pants as "harem" pants! :)

Scheryka said...

Cute tops and the pants actually look wearable to me. I would love to rock them in nurse land!