Wednesday, June 5, 2013

I have a new jacket


 



I made this jacket as a test of the Butterick pattern 4610.

This pattern was included in the Craftsy class The Fashionably Quilted Jacket, which I enrolled in a couple of months ago. Now - I am not into quilting. In fact I have never quilted anything in my life, so why would I enrol in a lesson involving quilting?

I was really impressed with the jacket made by Mary Ray, which was featured in Threads September 2012 issue. The jacket was made from a mesh knit fabric, which I have in my stash.



So when I discovered that Mary Ray was actually running a class on making such a jacket, my interest was caught.

I have sloping and forwarded rotated shoulders so I made adjustments to accommodate those issues. My right shoulder is also lower than the left – another adjustment, and finally my right shoulder blade is flatter and further forward than my left, so I had to take in the back princess seams by different amounts at each side. These alterations around the armscye meant that corresponding adjustments had to be made to the sleeve. It took me some time to figure out, but I am quite pleased with the end result.


I made a bound buttonhole, handstitched the patchpockets to the jacket from the back and fully lined the jacket with a navy bemsilk.

I still think I have some a fitting issues on the back – see the folds below the arms? Even though I lowered the armscye on the back bodice after lowering the shoulders, I don’t think I took enough out. I inserted shoulder pads to even out my shoulders somewhat, but I think I could improve here. What do you think? I also now note a fold across the top of the sleeve when viewed from the back. How would I fix that?

Sigh! I really would love to make myself some jackets, but I just can’t seem to achieve a good fit.

This fabric is from my stash, and although I started making the jacket before I joined the Style the Stash Sew Along, I will count it in. Two metres of wool/synthetic stash was used up for this make.

My total stash beginning of June 2013 was 167.7metres.

My jeans have seen better days – I think it is time I attempt making a pair of new jeans. That will be a new sewing experience for me.

Happy sewing!

19 comments:

Hana said...

Congratulations for your first project. You have made a such lovely jacket and love the red color that you have chosen.
Also, I am impressed with your work on bound buttonholes and patch pockets.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Love your jacket.. You did a great job on it.. Happy sewing.

Beverly said...

I really like your jacket, a lot!

Marjorie said...

Thanks for sharing the detailed adjustments that you made. I would have never guessed. That makes me believe that you did a fantastic job. We are always our worst critics, but at comfortable viewing distance it looks great. I do see those subtle details once you pointed them out but am not skilled enough to offer a solution.

Far said...

I Think Your Jacket Is PrettyAnd The Contrast On The Edges Against The Red made It Pop Even More. I Can't OfferSolution TOo, Sorry! But Look Forward To See The Mesh Version!

Mary said...

What a wonderful first stash project! Your jacket looks terrific. Very impressive and very pretty. I agree with you and think the lines you are seeing on the princess seams are pointing at your shoulders, indicating maybe a need to release some fabric in the sleeve (armscye). What happens when you remove the shoulder pads?

Giggles said...

You know, I think the jacket looks fabulous, even in the back. Sometimes as people who sew, we can get very caught up in achieving absolute perfection. I am not sure people who don't sew would notice anything wrong with the back of your jacket, in fact most would be pretty darn impressed. Well done :-)

Janine said...

Love, love, love the jacket .... I'd be more than happy to wear it :-)

I can see what you mean about the back, it does look as though you need to remove a bit more fabric.

Jackets are my favourite item of clothing. I would never have thought to use mesh knit.

Sam said...

I think you've done a really good job with this. Jackets are really hard to fit, and you've done well. It's so difficult to do the fitting yourself, as I'm discovering with the dress I'm currently making!

Dk's Wife said...

I love your jacket. You did such a fine job. The trim is the icing on the cake :)

Linda said...

Your jacket is lovely. What a great job you did. Mary Ray spoke to our ASG club about a year ago and the jacket shown in your post was shown at the meeting. It was a lovely jacket and the use of the mesh fabric to make it was very inspiring.

Again your jacket looks great and fits you so well!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Lene, the jacket is perfect from the front, and just in general wearing I don't think anyone would notice the problems. But yes, something is not right in the sleeve and back. How tall are you? And do you have a narrow back? It's a nuisance with shoulders up and down - I have a bit of the same.

I use my camera a lot during the fitting stage - do you do muslins first?

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Whoops, I forgot to say how lovely the jacket looks - I'd wear it happily even with the problems you pointed out - only you will notice - and while that is important, of course, I think , as others have pointed out, we should not be too harsh on ourselves - RTW can look just as bad in some cases.

Mrs. Smith said...

Swoon! Love the jacket! LOVE IT! It is hanging up a bit at the sleeves but I don't think it's awful at all. I love the piping too :)

ozviking said...

Thank you everybody for your kind and encouraging comments. I did make a muslin but the fashion fabric behaved differently to the muslin fabric. A suggestion was made to add fabric to the length of the jacket between the armscye. I think that is the solution and will try that next time.

Scheryka said...

Cute jacket! The color is great and great on you, too. The piping really sets it off. Good job, Ozviking!

Mary said...

Yes, do make another as soon as you can. That way your learning will get cemented into those brain cells :-) I have made a few tailored jackets and the process takes patience and perseverance.

dolinna said...

What a beautiful dragonfly and what wonderful post!!I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: private tour of China | Top Attractions in China | Beijing travel

Learn Chinese language on hanbridgemandarin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.