Friday, June 28, 2013

introduction...


Hello Fellow Sewing Enthusiasts! 

My name is Maria and I am a dressmaker. I have been sewing for over 20 years now, but I unfortunately, I have been quite inconsistent... life does tend to happen quite a bit.

My problem...sewing garments that no longer reflect my style.  This time in my life, I am leaning more towards longer skirts, looser jackets, tunics and dresses.  I am at home quite a bit taking care of my multiple disabled daughter, so my clothing has to be comfortable, modest (because of all the bending) and feminine. 

I enjoy natural fibers.  And would prefer linen and wool over synthetics.

When I came across this site, I was so excited about the whole concept.  Sewing from my stash is a bit of a hassle, one that I have tended to ignore continually.  I will go and purchase fabric, before I go through the process of selecting the fabric from my bins.

This site and especially all of you, are such a motivator to me.  To use up everything that I have horded stashed for so long :) is a terrific idea! And the fact that it runs throughout the whole year is even better.  What a fantastic way to create a good habit ;D 

The picture above was one of the last outfits I sewed, that truly did not fit my style.  I enjoyed making it, but once I wore it, I realized it is only for date nights and such...I need more casual clothes at the moment :) 

The fabric came from my stash ( woo hoo!) so I guess, I had already started ;)

It is nice meeting you all!  I blog here... http://iwantasimplewardrobe.wordpress.com/

Stop by when you can...

Peace and happy sewing.

m.

31 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Maria, so nice to meet you.. Look forward to seeing what you make.
Love to sew, and am enjoying this sew-a-long.. NO pressure.. But is making me research my stash,much more..yea.
Happy sewing.

Dk's Wife said...

Your outfit looks lovely, and will enjoy seeing what else you create!

Good to meet you!

Scheryka said...

Looks like the outfit is laid out for royalty!

Scheryka said...

Oh, I got overcome with the outfit I forgot to say hi. Hi!

Towanda said...

Welcome, I love your outfit. It was a struggle for me to learn to sew for my actual closet needs and not a fantasy wardrobe.

Hana said...

Hi Maria, nice to meet you here in a sew a long. You have made such a lovely outfit. I am looking forward to see your next project.

Hana said...

Hi Maria, nice to meet you here in a sew a long. You have made such a lovely outfit. I am looking forward to see your next project.

Marjorie said...

Welcome! And stunning use of formerly completed project to meet criteria. Totally one of my moves. We will get along brilliantly!!!

Dorothy DotDot said...

Maria, it is good to meet you. This outfit is beautiful and looks like something I would wear.

ozviking said...

Great to meet you on Style the Stash - I love your outfit. It is a pity it doesn't fit your current lifestyle, but I still hope you will have many opportunities to wear it. It is too good to just hang there.

Mary said...

Good to meet you Maria, and welcome to our blog. I know you will sew lovely things which you can use in your daily life. Just using stash feels good!!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Maria, and welcome. This suit is lovely, and it is a pity that it doesn't suit your lifestyle - but at least you have worked that out and can concentrate on more practical garments for now. You may be able to use the suit as little separates - the jacket might go over your new feminine, practical garment choices :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

P.S Maria, I'm doing a running tally of stash we sew up - so when you post, just include the yardage/meterage of the stash you have used :)

Far said...

Hi Maria,Welcome! Visited Your Page Earlier Today When U Posted. This Ensemble Is Lovely But I Can See How They Can Get Regelated To Special Outings... The Inpiration Pics U Hav Looks Great, Look Forward To See Your Interpretation Of Those Into Your Current Lifestyle :)

Heather said...

Welcome, Maria!!!

Ellen Walker said...

Hi Maria, welcome! Such a pretty outfit. I look forward to seeing your other projects. So fun!

m. said...

Thank you Maw :) No there is no pressure, that is why I don't mind participation at all :) m.

m. said...

Good to meet you :) m.

m. said...

Actually, this outfit was made for a Mother/Daughter tea that our church put together, I enjoyed wearing it :) especially since I made it ;D m.

m. said...

Hello Towanda. I live in the town that has your name :) I have had to learn to sew for my daily life and not my used to be one. Not easy...but I am learning. m.

m. said...

Thank you Hana...nice to meet you :) m.

m. said...

Hello Marjorie :) I have been sewing for myself now for awhile, but never had the 'nerve' to share it online :) m.

m. said...

Would you like it Dorothy? Unfortunately, I don't own a serger, but it will look great on you :) m.

m. said...

I do wear it on occasion, but not as often as before. Nice to meet you also :) m.

m. said...

oh my goodness, yes it does! I just enjoy this group so much. Sewing for daily life is actually quite nice :) m.

m. said...

Actually Sarah, that is exactly what I have done. I wear it with other things when I go out with my hubby :) m.

m. said...

Thank you for letting me know Sarah. I don't remember how many yards I used for this :( but I will for next time. m.

m. said...

Hello Far. Yes, I used to wear suits quite a bit. But now, well, I tend to go for a more relax approach :) m.

m. said...

Hello Heather :) m.

m. said...

Hello Ellen. Thank you :) m.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Maria, thanks, it's just fun to tally up :) And keeps people motivated.