Wednesday, June 12, 2013

ITY Knit Skirt

Whoa diggity!  This fabric was very difficult to sew.  I almost threw it in the trash, but I am too much of a tightwad to do that, so I kept at it and perservered.  This isn't my best work, but it does look good on me, and I will get lots of wear out of it during the summer months.

Sorry about the picture, but I used my cell phone because my camera card will no longer work in newer computers, so my camera has been made redundent!  Dangit!  I will eventually get another one, but it will be awhile.  I would have modeled the skirt, but I got in a fight w/ chicken wire and it looks like a wild cat went after my right leg LOL, so no skirts for me this week!

Back to the skirt and fabric.  I initially started out making a maxi dress, but I could not stand how it was turning out, so that idea got tossed in the trash can.  I took the skirt portion of the pattern and just sewed up a center seam.  Added elastic to the back, and put a couple of pleats in the front.  I made a waistband out of some black ponte knit (I love ponte knit) that I had left over, and attached it!  I hand sewed the hem because, again, the knit was a bear to sew. 

Yardage used:  Rougly 1-1/4 yards

I have enough of this fabric left that I might try to make Renfrew long sleeve cowl shirt for winter, but first I have to get over my issues w/ the fabric first :/

Thanks for looking!

16 comments:

Far said...

Did Your Machine Eat UpTgis Fabric When You Sew It? That HappEns A Bit When I Try Sewing SomE ITY.... It Can Really Make Me Scream! Lol...

But anywAy, Your Fabric Is Really Pretty Made Up As A Skirt! I Really Like The Design Of The print. There's A Lot Of PRint Ity Knits, But Some (Online) U Never Know How It Would Look In person... Tough Buying Like That, Hehe...

dkswife said...

Yes, my machine eats it up, especially right at the beginning. It really makes me angry because I try to be so careful.

Judith said...

Skirt fabric looks beautiful - but an fabric eating machine must be soooo annoying! Good on you for completing the skirt...I also hate being beaten by fabric...J

Linda said...

Nice skirt! Glad you kept with it!

Mary said...

It's projects like this which separate the women from the girls! :-) Nice save-it is cute.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Kay - glad you got this one through to completion - it does look really nice. How frustrating though - machines that won't sew fabric and camera cards made redundant. You'll be glad to get the top over and done with later on :)

Dk's Wife said...

My machine is very new and only has done this w/ this type of fabric, and only when I first start out. It sews well w/ everything else.

Dk's Wife said...

Thanks! I seems to only eat this type of fabric, and I need to look at the owners manual because I can adjust the pressure of the feet so maybe that would make a difference.

Dk's Wife said...

Thanks!

Dk's Wife said...

LOL I believe you are right!

Janine said...

You've done a great job on the skirt, especially with the machine difficulties.

dkswife said...

Thanks!

Hana said...

Very cute skirt in a lovely printed fabric! So sorry about the camera and difficulties to deal with your sewing machine. But anyway...you did a nice job on your skirt.

dkswife said...

Thank you Hana. There are worse things in life, so I will just count my blessings :)

Ellen Walker said...

I love the color and the print of your skirt. Too bad the fabric is so difficult to work with! I hope you enjoy wearing it, though, as it looks lovely.

Dk's Wife said...

Thanks Ellen. I think it will get a test drive next week.