Friday, June 14, 2013

Jeans - or not?

I went stash-busting.

This time I made a pair of jeans.

Well, they are not exactly like jeans, but I used the jeans construction method and design elements most of the way.

 
 

Now, I know they don't fit perfectly. I made a few muslins and on my blog you can see my first one if you are interested. I also have pattern details there. I welcome any suggestions that can help me get a better fit. I need to use up the rest of my stretch denim fabric, but I think perhaps a pair of regular pants will suit me better.

My back pocket design is VW - not after the car :) - but a nickname my husband gave me meaning Viking Woman.
 


I used up a length of 1.65m from my stash for these pants.

10 comments:

redpointtailor said...

They look great! Congratulations! I know how difficult is achive what you have just done (I am now after 8 muslin). I decided to make wearable muslin. Others I will never have pants.

Beverly said...

Those look good. If I had 1 sewing wish, it would be for a great fitting pants pattern :)

Sew Blessed Maw said...

These look great.. You did a wonderful job sewing them.. Pants are so difficult. So happy your getting a chance to use your stash.

Far said...

Congrats On The Jeans! I Think It Looks Great! When I Think Of Jeans I Think Of All The Topstitching It InvolveS. My Plastic Brother Machine Can Barely Stitch Straight On Light Fabric :)

Hana said...

You did a good job on the jeans. Congratulations!
I love the back pocket design, it's lovely :)

ozviking said...

Thanks everybody for your kind comments. This was my first time ever sewing top stitching with a proper top stitching thread. It was a lot of fun, although I got tired of changing thread and needle all the time (and I forgot to lengthen the stitch a couple of times hush hush). Next time I must plan my stitching better to avoid as many changes as possible.

Janine said...

Nice looking jeans. If you find out the trick to sewing well fitting jeans/pants, let me in on the secret, p-l-e-a-s-e.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

I think they look terrific around the hip, bottom and tummy - if I was going to be hypercritical, maybe a few problems on back leg, but really, I think these are very wearable. Maybe a bit tight over the front, but the trouble with stretch is it has to be firm, then it has laugh lines. Not sure how this problem is solved - I see it in RTW as well.

Mary said...

Those are superb! No criticism from me-I know how hard it is to get a good fit on pants. I have good luck with Clovers and with Butterick patterns.

Heather said...

I saw some pretty good fitting directions over at Colette in their sewalongs. Here is their cheatsheet:
http://www.coletterie.com/sewalongs/the-colette-patterns-pants-fitting-cheatsheet
and they had a pants sewalong that had tons of info here:
http://www.coletterie.com/sewalongs/welcome-to-the-clover-sewalong