Thursday, June 6, 2013

Joining the Stash Evolution ...

 ... I'm in, definitely, in this great Stash Sew A Long!  What a brilliant opportunity to clear the old shelves out and let some of my beautifully saved fabric grab a bit of the chilly fresh winter air. 


But, not only do I want to reduce my current stash slightly, my plan is to utilise this Sew A Long and try to inject some form of organisation into my stash. Because I already know that as fast as I sew from my current stash over the next 7 months, it will still continue to increase - I am a weak person when it comes to just picking up a metre or two of fabric. There is no chance of me ever turning my back on a bolt of fabric and walking out the door. Often I fall in love with fabric and dream of the potential of the piece in my wardrobe, but by the time I actually get around to using it my dream has moved on, and the next piece of fabric takes it place. So into the stash it goes! I definitely fall into the Fabric Addict category - along with the rest of you I am sure!!!
SIX DAYS!!!! What a strong willed lady this is...
So time to get my stash collection under control and make room for more fabric - did I actually say that??? Currently my stash is very eclectic, and I will be making a fair few one-of-a-kind type garments to start my destashing off on the right foot. 

Maybe I should start by making one of these aptly named wall hangings - just to keep me grounded and my dream on-track over the coming months ... J

* just a quick addition to this post, I was so focused on my stash I forgot to link back to my blog...talk about a one tracked fabric mind ... anyway, I can be found stashing the fabric at 
...see you there...J

20 comments:

Heather said...

You gave me a good laugh with this. I used to be this way with yarn, now I am the same with fabric.

Judith said...

Noooo, don't bring the wool into this equation - then my addiction actually will look a little on the habit-forming side of things! It is winter here Down Under and my needles are doing their best...but the wool sales are on...J

Heather said...

HAHA. Look at my original stash post. My yarn addiction is a far bigger problem than my fabric one. Be strong. I know you can do it. Also, yarn can't get used up as quickly. I've tried. I am sure you have plenty to tide you through winter. ;-)

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Judith... I love the quotes.. I am so addicted, it isn't funny. ha If I see a really pretty fabric or a so-so one on sale, I talk myself into getting it.. you know the ole "Judy, you will never see this again, it will be gone forever!" Or " Judy, this is on sale, you will never find it
for this price again".. So the stash is growing, growing. One thing I can say positively about a hugh fabric stash is-
whenever one of the kids need something, or I decide to sew something, I can just about always find it in my stash..

Mary said...

Judith, thanks so much for the cute photos...I snagged one to enjoy on my own computer.

Scheryka said...

LOL. Hug the fabric...I do this often.

Far said...

Lol, They Are Awesome!!!! :)I Fantasise About FabricAnD Possible ProjectAll THe Time..And of Winning The Lottery And Flying To Cities With Huge Fabric Stores....

dkswife said...

Love the funnies and your attitude! Great to meet you.

Judith said...

Judy...maybe it is something in the name!!! From one J to another...

Judith said...

You are most welcome - there are some funny things out there that just seem to give the stamp of approval to our fabric dilemma...

Judith said...

I know - sometimes it's better than a good massage ...

Judith said...

Cities with huge fabric stores - you are a true addict to this fabric stash game...

Judith said...

And likewise, dkswife! You have to have a laugh at yourself to stay sane...and to justify all that fabric...

Janine said...

Too funny! Even on a self imposed fabric diet, I managed 5m of winter fabric, with only 7kg carryon (recent trip to Melbourne).... we're a hopeless lot here ha! ha! ha!

Judith said...

Janine, you definitely are my type of shopper - you could have wrapped the fabric around yourself as a scarf ...

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hello Judith, glad you have found your way onto the site. Welcome.

Oh, envy - Melbourne - I have it on my list to visit when I have the stash down. I really want to build a brand new, much better stash - I will never get over my addiction.

I actually went through stash withdrawal and anxiety yesterday - I hadn't had a fabric fix for some time - it was a hard urge to resist, but resist I did.

Now,wool stash - I have a few years supply of that as well - glorious balls of the stuff. This year I have resisted Spotlight's sales - but normally I buy them out :)

I think a few of us are going to try to PLAN our garments before sewing the stash - that's where the style part comes in. I need to really work on this myself. Not the random, whatever the muse tells me to make approach - which usually gets sidetracked by another possibility coming into view :)

Judith said...

I know what you mean about the Melbourne envy, SarahLiz! I always feel like the poor 'Country-Cousin' up here in Brisbane. I also want to try to plan, and sort out my stash - have even started prowling the net to see who has the best ideas and how they do it...

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Judith - yes, I'm familiar with the 'Country-Cousin" feeling - I'm "mostly" from Adelaide - and fabric stores have been in sad decline there over the last 20 years. I now live in Newcastle, so there isn't much here - I think that is why I have stashed so much - if I see something "good" I tend to buy it - because goodness knows when I will see it again. I want to downsize the stash and then start buying bits I like from places like Tessuti. You must let me know whose web sites you find handy - sounds like we are on a similar mission - I suspect L and Lene are as well.

Linda said...

You have described me very well as well as many others on this sew along venture. Will enjoy seeing what you create.

Judith said...

Ah, Linda. Sounds like there are a fair few of us who need to be on this Style-n-Stash Sew Along. How good is it that we are all in this together...