Saturday, June 29, 2013

MAXIMIZING MY STASH...

I used this pattern to make dresses for my Mother and two sisters that live in upstate New York.  I usually visit them this time of year, but this time couldn't make it.  I won't be there but my dresses will.

Yes, all three are alike - which made it easier to make three of them in less than a week.  I'm hoping my peeps won't mind the look alike styles.  Maybe they can wear them on an outing - maybe a little afternoon trip up to lake country - mmmmm that would be nice.



I decided that making three maxi's would be a great way to help me do a little stash busting - 3 dresses = six yards used.  The two lively prints on the left are jersey knits purchased at Metro Textiles on one of my New York trips, and the ITY knit for the dress on the left was from Fabric.Com several years ago.    I still have enough of the ITY knit for another dress.

The Mission Maxi is a super easy dress to pull together, consisting of just two main pattern pieces and 3 bands to finish the neckline and armholes.  All three dress were machine hemmed using my longest zig-zag stitch to create lettuce hems.  I know my folks already have plenty of cute sandals  to pair with these dresses.
      



11 comments:

Ellen Walker said...

Such fun dresses! I'm sure your mom and sisters will enjoy wearing them on their outings, and will think of you and know that you are with them in spirit.

Hana said...

Nice dresses! The printed blue on the bottom is my favorite. I agree with Ellen, I am sure your mom and sisters would love it:)

Mrs. Smith said...

How sweet! I might do something similar--mom, sister and I all have July birthdays. I think I will :)

Gorgeous dresses and gorgeous fabric choices!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Faye, that is so sweet of you, I know your mom and sisters , will enjoy these beautiful dresses..
And you knocked out a big amount of your stash.yea.

Dk's Wife said...

They are fantastic Faye. You sew so beautifully!

Mary said...

well, I wish I was a family member! :-) Those are all cute and I'd have a hard time choosing my fave. Did they know you were doing this?

Beverly said...

Such pretty dresses & I'm sure they'll love them.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Faye, great stash styling exercise here, and nicely sewn. I'm sure all your peeps (great name for siblings) will be thrilled at your lovely gift:)

Linda said...

Pretty dresses, very productive sewing on your part!

Scheryka said...

How nice! The thought and the dresses! I especially love the two on the left because I love blue and retro. Great job.

Heather said...

I love maxi dresses. They are as comfortable as PJ's and stylish, too. LOL