Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Messy stash

Hi all!  I decided to participate in the Stash Sew Along and like the idea that we having more time to work through it.

I took some photos of my current sewing room "stash".  I live in an older home with small rooms and I could not fit my fabric cabinet into the room so store my fabrics elsewhere in the house.  As seasons change I move fabric in and out.  What you see in the photo below are the fabrics that I have a real desire to sew up and given my work schedule and such this is a very ambitious goal.  Many of these fabrics will get moved when it is time to sew fall/winter garments.


To the right of the fabric is huge plastic bag of patterns that I also stashed and in process of putting them in banker boxes for better storage and ease of finding.






This is a close up of some of the fabrics waiting to become something.  This blue one is from Mood in NYC, an online purchase about a month ago.  It is cotton lace.





The two photos below are other fabrics I hope to sew up this spring/summer.  Top one is a linen blend acquired from Les Fabrique in Charlottesville, VA.  It was on the half price table about 6 months or more ago.

 This is slub knit fabric from Vogue Fabrics on line, as is the piece peaking out below it, that is a ruffle knit fabric.
The two fabrics on the ironing board are what I plan to sew up next.  The teal floral print fabric is a more recent purchase from about two months ago from Fabric Mart.  It is a silk cotton twill which I plan to turn into the Laurel dress by Collette patterns.  The green/gold fabric closer to the iron is a knit fabric that truly has about 6 years of life in my stash.  This will become a Butterick knit top that I just completed making pattern adjustments to sew up this weekend.

More sharing later.

11 comments:

Dk's Wife said...

Welcome. We all pretty much have big stashes :) You have some lovely fabrics. I look forward to seeing what you create from them.

Janine said...

Hi and welcome, Linda. Online fabric purchases can be a bit of a downfall, can't they?

Linda said...

Yes, sometimes they are. Most times it is as expected and sometimes even better. I have had my share of not meeting expectations.

Linda said...

Thank you. I think this will be a busy and interesting blog over the next few months.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hello Linda, and welcome, it's nice to have you with us. As you can see, we all have quite sizeable stashes, so you are in good company. Stash storage is always a problem - I have an older house as well, and limited storage, so I use plastic containers - except for the overflow, or current pile, just like you.

As for online shopping, I try not to have expectations - its wait and see, and then decide what to do with it.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Linda.
welcome.. what a wonderful stash.. Look so forward to seeing what you make .. I too am making the Laurel pattern, happy sewing. Judy

Mrs. Smith said...

So pretty! I made a maxi dress from that same teal/floral pattern on the ironing board! :) I love it!

Heather said...

Is it wrong to say that I don't find this all that messy?

ozviking said...

Beautiful fabrics - cant wait to see what exciting creations you come up with. I have never bought fabric on line - I am too scared that the real thing is not what I expected.

Scheryka said...

Cute prints. And the blue one in the last photo is really cute.

Mary said...

Hi Linda, Welcome aboard. You have some pretty yardage there. It's fun to see what others do with their stash. I'll be looking forward to your projects.