Friday, June 7, 2013

More greetings from Utah

Hi everyone: another hopeful stash buster living Utah. My name is Kate, kkkkaty on PR, and katej841 on google. A little background.  I have been sewing since I was a youngish teenager, which is about 35 years or so (throwing in a hiatus here and there). For a long time I didn't sew much for myself, due to not really knowing how to fit patterns.  So I mostly sewed children's clothing, and enjoyed that very much.  The internet (or rather, fellow sewists on the internet) has taught me a lot, and I thoroughly enjoy sewing for myself these days. I am very excited to be going to a fitting workshop tomorrow and Saturday with Connie Crawford, which includes a sloper for a shirt!

On a more personal level, I am married, no kids.  I am a geologist by training and education, and work in state government in environmental quality programs.  Love gardening, and have several cats. From Chicago originally, and came to Utah through New Mexico and Oregon.

here's a picture of my stash.

Several bins, and the container on the bed, and some bolts against the wall (mostly interfacing, but some fabric).

And here is a bit of information on my current project.  I saw a review that Marec did of Vogue 8876, and realized that I had a floral fabric that might work well for this pattern.  I am using the zipper closure, which was a mistake, for reasons I'll get into another time. here's a pic of part of the project: 

I hope to have it done in the next week or so, and will get back with more information later!

I look forward to learning more about all of you, and seeing everyone's projects!

10 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, your fabric!! So cool. Why was the zipper a mistake?

Marjorie said...

Hi Kate. We need to keep in touch since we are neighbors (In an Intermountain West kind of way). And we're in the same sewing boat - lots of sewing experience but none sewing for self. If you promise to talk Geology to my hubby...we can arrange play dates.

Let us know how the Connie Crawford workshop goes. I bought a commercial pattern that she designed for Butterick (post at http://appliqueaddict.blogspot.com/2013/04/sewing-project-1-t-shirt.html) that turned into a train wreck, but so many people commented about how well her patterns usually turn out (and alternatively, a few shared my neck line issue) that I'm curious about what you learn.

Heather said...

Hello Kate. Were you in Santa Fe, then? That's my original home town and I go back there at the beginning of next year. Looks like you have big plans. I will be waiting to see your creations.

Janine said...

Hi Kate. A friend did Connie's workshop when she was in Australia last year, and was very happy with the info she received.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Kate, and welcome - glad you "got here". You've certainly grown yourself a good sized stash (like quite a few of us here). We will all be fascinated to find out about the zipper - what a cliffhanger moment you have created.

I think most of us enjoy sewing and have struggled with the fit issues, so it will be fantastic sharing our ups and downs with each other.

dkswife said...

Hello Kate! Can't wait to see your finished item.

Far said...

Hi Kate! Geologist, That's Fascinating! Have Fun At Your Workshop, And Look Forward To See U And Your ProjectsWhen You R Back :)

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Kate,
so proud to meet you.. Look forward to seeing what you will make.. I too, have sewed for my kids, and now grandkids, but sewing for me..is so difficult--- the fitting!!! I wish I could find a fitting class. So happy your getting to go to COnnie Crawford's class. how wonderful. Please share what you learn..

Katej841 said...

ok, I'll explain about the zipper, although the project is not quite done yet. I was torn about trying to use a riri zipper I had that was too long, vs finding one that was the right length. I have read that you can shorten separating zippers, but hadn't actually tried to do that. The usual stores (h,J) had only jacket zippers in the prescribed length. I decided to tackle shortening the riri, and ended up throwing it out. I think you need three hands for this; one to hold the zipper and the other two to pry at the metal teeth. So I am putting a jacket zipper in this dress. It will be fine, and the process was kind of funny, really...

On the other questions, Heather, I lived in Albuquerque from 1968 to the later 1980s, with some breaks here and there for school in other locations. Love NM and miss it. Marjorie, would love to get together some time, and happy to talk geology. The workshop was great, and although as a whole Connie's patterns are a bit too conservative for me, I learned a lot and will undoubtedly make a few up (as long as I am still working, I need such clothes).

Katej841 said...

Hi Mary, see details about zipper problem in reply towards the end. I noticed that you used a zipper for your very cute dress, did you have trouble finding one that you liked?