Monday, June 17, 2013

My Stash is Now 1 1/2 YDS Lighter Even Though This Is Just a Muslin...

... You all know how I like naming things - well, I'm calling this one my "Better Late than Never" top.


VOGUE 1282
Better late than never because this pattern came out last summer. Although I really liked it, I was scared because the top shown on the model and reviews from people who made it clearly indicated a more than plunging neckline and elongated armhole.  So I shy ed away from it because I didn't want to deal with unfamiliar pattern alterations.  Fast forward one year and it just seemed the time to tackle this baby.  But not before taking it through the trial and error phase AKA a muslin.  Why muslin?  Because the bulk of the fabrics that I own are truly loved - and I just don't want to end up with the sick in the stomach feeling that happens when you discover - "oh no, now it's too late".
Pattern alterations made:
  •  raised the weirdly shaped armhole, 
  •  eliminated gaping at the back center seam,
  •  raised the elongated neckline,

What a Weirdly shaped pattern!  Two gigantic pattern pieces that are taped together to make one piece that actually turns out to be the back and front of the top and a armhole facing that's all.  I used a seriously mysteryfied WalMart fabric from le good old STASH - 1 1/2 yards, don't know what in the world it is.  Just knew it was a two way stretch knit and nothing that I would ever consider using for an actual garment so it fit the practice category.   I like the top.  And will be making another one as soon as I make a fabric choice.

Commencing with this top I'm using my high bust measurement for pattern sizing.  I know, should have been using that measurement all along, I've read it, but it was so hard to make that change for some reason.  I'll be able to get a much better fit through the shoulders and bust area.  This sewing thing is ever evolving... 



5 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Faye, this is going to be stellar! I love the drape and look forward to seeing your "real" version. About the high bust: yes, so much better to do that. Easier, and better fit. I have been decreasing many of my safe size choices and I still have areas which are too big. :-)

redpointtailor said...

Great top. I am looking forward to see it on you :-)

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Faye, this looks like a big challenge.. But , I bet it will be beautiful, when you get it all figured out.Happy sewing.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

This is a lovely top Faye, and I guess as there was no attachment to the fabric it become a lot easier to play with the shape. It's going to look good - this one does too. Will have to explore using high bust measurement as well.

Linda said...

Nice top!