Saturday, June 1, 2013

Nakisha's Introduction and Fabric Stash

Hello fellow stash sew-along-ers! :)

I'm MrsSmith -aka- Nakisha of www.sewcraftychemist.blogspot.com. I am a married mom in a blended family with 5 kids - 14, 13, 12, 12, 7. I work full-time as a chemist and aside from sewing, I crochet and knit.

I started sewing in January of this year after spending years pining over the craft. My mom sews, not much garment sewing until I started, but I was still amazed that she could "make stuff from fabric!" She made my veil for my wedding and would make hats for her sisters in the Mosque. She had intended on giving me one of her old Singer machines and my husband forgot to get it when he was there last summer visiting family. We're in Minnesota, my parents and most of my husband's extended family, are in Georgia. So unfortunately we don't make it down often.

I dived head first into sewing and am loving it. I've accumulated a bit of a stash, in fact, I got a little overwhelmed and despondent when I pulled it out to photograph! Why? I want to make these things, not look at fabric that I like! I must stick to my fabric fast and sew my stash - which is why this challenge was welcomed.


A variety of knits - ponte, lace knits, jersey knits...


Suiting fabrics that are mostly blends with a piece of denim thrown in (oh and that's chambray on the end...it missed it's turn with the wovens)


More suiting fabrics and the Rock & Republic denim I keep looking at and dreaming of the jeans it'll become.


Woven fabrics, I don't completely shun polyester fabrics, but after making two tops that quickly reduced me to a frustrated sweaty mess - I have overactive sweat glands :( - I've been trying to add more cottons and rayons to my stash for tops. I have some lawn and voile and gauze and I am in love with rayon challis.


More wovens. A madras, a couple of plaids (that I'm scared to try), 3 yards of lovely floral rayon, some shirting and some poly chiffon and charmeuse that is getting a mean stink eye if it's anything like it's friends that I've previously tried sewing!

So, what do I want to sew? My wardrobe is so bland because I have to dress in as functional a way as possible for work. I'd really like to make more pants and blazers, hence my accumulation of suiting fabrics, tops for work, and easy weekend wear tops. I'd love to sew more dresses but I don't have too many occasions to wear them so I'm uncertain...even though I have a huge pattern stash of dresses. Sigh. 

I look forward to seeing everyone's makes along the way!

13 comments:

Mary said...

Mrs.Smith, pleasure to meet you. Your stash looks so organized and interesting. I, too, love rayon challis.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Mrs Smith - isn't it frustrating when you work in a job that entails wearing very functional and "trust me" sort of clothes. I agree with you about polyester - it's not good for "thermal qualities" - which is why you get so hot (or cold in winter for that matter). You may be able to use it for linings.

Looks like you'll be making some lovely jackets and trousers though :)

Jacq C said...

Hi, lovely to meet you. You have some lovely pieces of fabric and so organised too :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

P.S., Forgot to say welcome, glad to have you here

Janine said...

Hi, and welcome. I'm loving those suitings Mrs Smith - can't wait to see what you make with them.

Dk's Wife said...

Welcome Mrs. Smith! I love your fabric hoard, erm, stash :)

ozviking said...

Hi Nakisha it is great to meet you. I look forward to seeing what you will make in the coming months.

Far said...

Hi Nakisha! :) Isn't Sewing Awesome? Look ForwardTo Kno U Better And See What U Make :)

Hana said...

Hi and welcome Nikisha! I am sure you will make some nice projects from your stash. Nice to meet you and looking forward to seeing what you will make.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Nakisha, so nice to meet you.. You have some lovely fabrics. I look forward to seeing what you make with this lovely fabric. Happy sewing.

Faye Lewis said...

You have beautiful fabrics!

Mrs. Smith said...

Thanks all! I'm excited too that I get to find new bloggers to follow! Yay!!

Scheryka said...

Welcome, Mrs. Smith! I get to follow more 'sew-ers' too! Yay!