Tuesday, June 11, 2013

progress-slow and steady

Hi group!  I have been busy with yard work, horse training and a little bit of sewing.  I won't be done with my current project for a week so I thought I'd pop in and do a mini progress report.

1) yard-giant, wild, on a hill, husband helps sometimes.  Sigh...
This is a horse chestnut growing next door.  The property is a rental now and the young women are clueless about tree care.  I cleaned up a lot of tree debris today and my husband moved a sprinkler over to their side and watered the tree.   We love this tree and are happy to help them.  













2)horse training-one old horse who needs care and light riding and one young horse who needs less care and lots more riding.  I've been getting up early to drive over to the barn and ride him before he goes out with his gang of geldings.  He is a sweetie but we are working through some negotiations on who is in charge. :-)


Finally 3) my Decades of Style 1944 House Dress which is sure to be a winner in my closet.  The pattern draft is excellent and the style lines are very flattering.  I have lots left on it so stay tuned!

10 comments:

Far said...

Your Horse Is Pretty And So Is Your House Coat.Im Actually Not Sure How And When You Wear Them, It Even Sound Formal. NOt For Yardwork definitely...

ozviking said...

The tree looks fantastic and I can understand you are prepared to give the neighbour's a little hand with TLC. I am not so sure about your horse - don't get me wrong he looks beautiful - but I am scared of horses, and I can't understand what some people see in those beasts - and then you have to spend hours grooming them!:) Give me the bush anytime (bush is what we in Australia call the sparsely populated forests/untamed vegetation). By the way, I look forward to seeing your finished dress.

Mary said...

Hi Far, a house dress is a vintage, or olden, term meaning a dress used when doing housework (cleaning the house). This style was popular during the 1940s and were made of cotton. This is from Decades of Style pattern company and is a reproduction of a vintage pattern.

Mary said...

I'd love to explore the bush of Australia! Have not been to that part of the world.

Heather said...

How beautiful! I grew up in the country and even though I like city life, I miss this!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Mary, yes, some horses need lots and lots of schooling -I'm sure you do well at that. The tree is lovely - unfortunately, I've lived next to tree murderers - some people have no idea that trees are our lungs.

The house dress is lovely - from discussions with Far and Scheryka, so many of us don't have nice house clothes - I'm trying to solve that problem as well. Pretty clothes have died some sort of death over the last fifty years. I'm determined to make some house dresses myself this summer :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

PS I miss country life too.

Dk's Wife said...

You have a lovely place, and the horses are pretty. I love horses, but they scare me to death LOL

I cannot wait to see your finished dress!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Such a lovely place... Always so much to do, isn't it?
Love your dress, it is going to be so pretty..

Janine said...

Very pretty area. I would find it extremely hard to stay inside and sew.