Sunday, June 16, 2013

project #3 vintage housedress

This sweet little frock is from Decades of Style and is a reproduction of a 1944 pattern for a housedress.  The fabric is from stash, and I used scraps for facings.  Total yardage 2.5 yards

I am going to write a pattern review later this weekend and take some photos wearing it.  The dress is made exactly according to the pattern, with the exception of pocket placement and lack of rick rack.  I was reminded of a few important techniques while sewing this dress, and the project piqued my curiosity.  Could I make this more modern?  I think so.  More to come on this particular style.


8 comments:

Dk's Wife said...

It is very cute. The fabric is so pretty.

Beverly said...

I really like this! I have that floral fabric in pink.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

THis is adorable. I love the style.. I really like the vintage looking dresses.. Happy sewing.

Hana said...

Very nice housedress! I like your fabric choice and the pockets are cute:)

Janine said...

Too glamorous for housework! I love those pockets.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Mary, that will be really cool to work in - I love loose dresses in summer. Will be interested in your modern interpretations in due course - I can see all sorts of possibilities there :). The pockets and facings add a quirky touch.

Far said...

I Love The FabricS You Chose, They Coordinate Nicely! It's So Pretty To Work IN,Looks Like Summer Dress To Me!Between Your Lovely Housedress And sarahliz's Funky Print Pants, it's Definitely Time For me To Retire Those Ratty Tshirts I've Been Wearing Around The House!

Linda said...

Really cute dress. Great fabric!