Sunday, June 2, 2013

Sarah Liz - June Sewing Plans

Winter has arrived DownUnder - some parts of Australia can get very cold and other parts are tropical.  And some parts are temperate, inbetween type zones.  I live in one of those - but I tend to feel the cold.   So I am going to start by making some Casual  Winter Wardrobe Basics.

I already have knitted jumpers to wear ( I am not sure if you call them jumpers in your part of the world ).   I always wear them over winter over t-shirts to keep warm.  I don't have a casual jacket - the sort of thing to wear to the supermarket, or out for a walk).  I also want some skirts to go with it.  I've got jeans, but sometimes I like to wear skirts with warm woolly tights.

I was born in England and  love the English style of dressing exemplified by the quintessential English designer, Margaret Howell.

I have kept this picture for years - just a simple, grey,  A Line skirt.  Margaret Howell would
use a wool, but I am going to use a grey corduroy that is already in my stash.

I am also going to make a black corduroy skirt like the one on the left -
again, Margaret Howell would use a wool for this.

I have wanted to make these skirts for 3 years - the fabric has been washed and waiting through three  winters of completing a Graduate Diploma in Psychology (plus my bridging units).  This year I am on a gap year, so I am going to make them!

I've started work on the casual jacket - I'm going to make up some black polar fleece in my stash - fleece is really bulky, so this gets a chunk of stash out of the way quickly!  I made a muslin last week and cut the main jacket out today:

My first stash busting project cut out.
Whenever I cut out a garment, I place all the pieces in a plastic container - I also include the pattern envelope so I can find it (sometimes it's handy to have a look at the picture while sewing), the instructions, and all the notions - zips, buttons, threads.  That way I know I have everything, and I can also find everything for that project.  I find I really need these containers if I'm working on two garments at once - a complex garment perhaps, alongside a simple project.

Well, I hope to have something to post in a couple of weeks - but for now, I look forward to hearing your plans.

Sarah Liz :)




11 comments:

Heather said...

I will also be working on winter stuff! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Heather - you're in the Northern Hemisphere - so I guess you are getting ready! I'm behind on winter sewing - I like to have winter things made before winter starts :) .

Sam said...

I really like Margaret Howell's designs, they are beautiful, simple and stylish. Great choice to base your plan around.

Scheryka said...

I've been wanting a corduroy skirt for a while now. Maybe I'll have one the time our cooler weather gets here. I have some cream and two kinds of green. One stretches and one doesn't. Ready to see your skirt...

Mary said...

Those are nice pieces Sarah Liz. I also have plans for a corduroy skirt in a rust color.

Far said...

Those are lovely skirts! look forward to see your version :)

Janine said...

Love the simplicity of the those styles - understated elegance.

I'm also still working on my winter wardrobe, though I did manage a few things before the start of winter :-)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Sam, I agree - everything she does is so wearable.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Scheryka - I guess it won't be long and your fall will be arriving - you'll need to different cuts with one being stretch, the other woven.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Corduroy is so comfy and I love it in winter - rust always looks gorgeous - has a warm look about it.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Janine - yes, that tends to be what Margaret Howell does - anything of hers could be worn for years.