Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Sewing Plans

During this sew-along I hope to make a couple pairs of  pants...




I've chosen S2700 which seems to be a love it or hate it pattern. I love the waistband and the clean line from waist to hem. I also find it hilarious that the center line is not centered on the model's right leg. Whoops! S1696 seems to be all the rage right now with several achieving a nice fit without a lot of foolishness. On this one, I love the narrow leg (15" leg opening on the size 16). That seems really tough to find.

I have S2700 cut in a grey rayon/poly suiting and assuming I like them when they're done, I'll cut my black wool crepe to make a second pair. I have S1696 cut out and fabric washed and pressed in a Kelly green garbadine.

I've made two pair of pants so far; both New Look patterns. NL6035 and NL6189. The block for them is nearly identical (duh). I made NL6189 in too stretchy a fabric and made NL6035 in wool crepe with no stretch. Although I tried the NL6035 pants on several times during sewing; and before sewing on the waistband facing and inserting the zipper - they don't fit! Oh the horrors! I have put them aside for now.

For tops, I'd *like* to make a jacket, but I'm not sure I'll get to it. We'll see. I have some busy weekends scheduled and a move before June 30th.


Otherwise, I plan on:
M6754 in a grey knit with a narrow black stripe.
B5493 in a black knit
M6604 in an olive cotton voile that was cut last night (I also want to make the two views circled in blue!)
B5711 in a peach rayon shirting that has a silky feel to it
M6149 in a either black or one of the plaid/checked suitings that I have.

With this one, I'd like to make a vest and pants...but not sure which pants pattern I'd like to use. Not the S2700 as I don't want the competing interest at the waist of the vest and the waist of the pants. Not sure if I should aim for a side zip pant or something that doesn't have the front tab at the waist. Maybe V1051 or S2562 because they're so wide...they'd make a great combo with a fitted vest.

Ambitious? Sure. But that's ok! :)

7 comments:

Marjorie said...

I have the 2700 pant to the stage of a muslin. Of course, it's been that way for 2 years. Maybe I'll move them up on the list so we can both post around the same time and compare notes.

Mrs. Smith said...

Oooh, that would be nice. A mini sew along within a sew along! :)

Far said...

I Have The S2700 Also On My Horizon But Since I NevermMade Pants Save For pyjama, It's At The Back Of Queue. Will Watch This Page To See Yours And Marjorie's First....

Scheryka said...

I am also planning to do S2700. I haven't cracked to envelope yet but I've had it since it came out. I've seen some sewers like it and others don't. I hope I become a lover it. We have a few tops alike too. I guess we'll sew along and see what blooms.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Love your upcoming sewing list.. Best wishes on the move.

Mary said...

Ambitious is good, as long as you are okay with dialing it back if need be. love the McCalls peplum top, and the pants are great.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Yes, I agree with Mary - sometimes you have to go with the flow- even if you prefer to swim upstream.

I've got the pants pattern S2700 on my horizon as well - not sure whether I like it or not. Pants are everyone's nemesis - I'm determined to crack the code this year :) Looks like we will be having mini sew alongs.

Love all the other choices - hope you get to achieve them, if not this month, over the next couple.