A picture is worth a thousand yards...
"Thousand" is probably a conservative estimate, but after the first five bins, I stopped counting. I'll leave details to the economists. Suffice it to say, I'll be sewing along for the rest of eternity. This picture was taken several months ago, and since then I've removed every piece of fabric from the shelves and separated them into bins according to fiber or type. Out of sight, out of mind, right? Maybe...until the number of bins are counted.
Anyway I've decided to arrange my sewing into small four to six piece coordinated capsules. I used to sew individual garments with no direction or plan. The result was a closet full of stuff that didn't match. I've had good success with small sewing plans, so this is the way to go for me.
My first plan involves these five pieces of fabric from the stash:
- floral rayon knit (1 yd, top)
- embroidered silk suiting (1.5 yds, skirt)
- lime green stretch cotton poplin (2 yds, wrapped top)
- navy blue cotton bottomweight (2 yds, peplum jacket)
- lime green patterned boucle' (1.5 yds, skirt)
My second plan includes these four pieces of stash fabrics:
- striped rayon knit (1 yd, top)
- tan linen-rayon blend (1.5 yds, skirt)
- monaco blue linen-rayon blend (2 yds, dress)
- linen woven (2 yds, safari jacket)
The first garment sewn as part of the stash-busting challenge was a complete fail. It wasn't the pattern, fabric, or technique that caused the demise. It was the old Fit beast. Even after the muslin showed promise, the finished garment was not to be. It's too big in many places and simply not worth the time and effort needed to correct it.
Hopefully someone will find it wearable and puts it to good use. More info on this project can be found here.
That's all for now. I think I should hit the sewing room and start tackling this stash.