Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sewing the Stash

Greetings from the Arctic north (known to most as Michigan).  I am L, which is very short for Lynn, and I blog at You sew, girl!  

A picture is worth a thousand yards...


"Thousand" is probably a conservative estimate, but after the first five bins, I stopped counting.  I'll leave details to the economists.  Suffice it to say, I'll be sewing along for the rest of eternity.  This picture was taken several months ago, and since then I've removed every piece of fabric from the shelves and separated them into bins according to fiber or type.  Out of sight, out of mind, right?  Maybe...until the number of bins are counted.

Anyway I've decided to arrange my sewing into small four to six piece coordinated capsules.  I used to sew individual garments with no direction or plan.  The result was a closet full of stuff that didn't match.  I've had good success with small sewing plans, so this is the way to go for me.

My first plan involves these five pieces of fabric from the stash:
 
  • floral rayon knit (1 yd, top)
  • embroidered silk suiting  (1.5 yds, skirt)
  • lime green stretch cotton poplin (2 yds, wrapped top)
  • navy blue cotton bottomweight (2 yds, peplum jacket)
  • lime green patterned boucle' (1.5 yds, skirt)
Three of the five patterns are TNTs, the other two will require muslins.  I like this plan because it will coordinate with a few garments I have in my closet.

My second plan includes these four pieces of stash fabrics:
  • striped rayon knit (1 yd, top)
  • tan linen-rayon blend (1.5 yds, skirt)
  • monaco blue linen-rayon blend (2 yds, dress)
  • linen woven (2 yds, safari jacket)
There were three more pieces to the second capsule, but I made them already.  Two were successful, the third one - not so much.

The first garment sewn as part of the stash-busting challenge was a complete fail.  It wasn't the pattern, fabric, or technique that caused the demise.  It was the old Fit beast.  Even after the muslin showed promise, the finished garment was not to be.  It's too big in many places and simply not worth the time and effort needed to correct it.



Hopefully someone will find it wearable and puts it to good use.  More info on this project can be found here.

That's all for now.  I think I should hit the sewing room and start tackling this stash.

L

10 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw said...

HI Lynn,
I love your idea of grouping smaller sewing plans together.. great idea.
Love your big stash.. such beautiful fabrics..
SO sorry about the jacket. I so understand the fitting issues. Sometimes, it just happens.
happy sewing, and I look forward to seeing what you make next.

Heather said...

Too bad on the jacket. DH is from South Dakota, so pretty much your neighbor in the Arctic. You've got gorgeous stuff, and I love that you have smaller groupings that go together. Genius!

Mary said...

Capsules are wonderful and work well for me too. You have a very organized approach to your stash busting!!

Far said...

Love The Fabric You Have, So Pretty. Sorry To Hear About Your Jacket, But It's Great That You Are Moving On From It. I Would Probably.Get Stuck With It Mentally And Wear It A Few Times Even Knowing Tge Fit Is Sucky On Me...Get Upset With It, And It Will Stay On The Hanger Unloved...

Scheryka said...

Everyone, we're going to L's!

L said...

Thanks for the support everyone! I'm over the coat and on to something new. LOL @ Scheryka

Janine said...

drooling over your fabrics Lynn. Have to say, I would have cried over the jacket having done all that beautiful topstitching.

ozviking said...

What a great idea - to make small capsules from fabric and patterns in your stash. I can't wait to see your plans come to fruition. I admire the fact that you know the composition of all your fabrics - I wish I did. Sad about your jacket - so frustrating - but glad you have moved on.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi L, glad you have made it here - and Welcome.

I'm sorry about the jacket - I left a message on your blog.

Love your stash - nothing like having a small shop at home.

Great idea to make little capsules to go with what you already have - I need to do that too, once I've made a few boring basics up.

Can't wait to see some of the finished garments.

Beverly said...

Ohhh, so much pretty fabric!