Monday, June 3, 2013

Sharing my Stash

Hi everyone, I'm Sam.  I live in the UK, about 30 miles north of London and I blog over at A Little of What You Fancy.

I've sewn for as long as I can remember, but its only in the last couple of years that I've built up anything like a fabric stash.  Before this I was purely buying enough fabric to make what I wanted at that particular time. 

Anyway, I've spent this afternoon sorting, photographing and cataloguing my stash and here are the results.

Firstly, shorter lengths of fabric:


These are all 1 metre or less in length, some are remnants or short pieces I purchased, others are left over from projects I've completed.

On the left are summer weight pieces and on the right winter weight. 

I have plans for the coral jersey piece and the butterfly print and will likely use them together.

Now on to the longer lengths.  These are all over 1 metre in length, and nothing is longer than 2.5 metres.


I have plans for the cream floral print and the black and white brush strokes print.  These are both linen mixes.  I also have plans for the navy/tan splodgy print, which is what I'm planning on using first.

Finally a few more longer lengths.


The coral fabric on the left is a shiny, heavy-ish jersey.  I'm planning on using it for a (hopefully) wearable muslin of a casual jacket.  The other 2 pieces I bought to make an outfit for a wedding I'm going to, then changed my mind about it.

This is how my fabric is stored.


I'm hoping I can keep it to these 2 boxes, I'm sure this Sew A Long will help me here. 

I've also catalogued my fabric in a spreadsheet with copies of these photos attached for easy reference.  I've actually got 31.3 metres of fabric, which I was quite surprised by.  I thought it would be more than that, but quite a few of the pieces are short lengths, and as I mentioned earlier, nothing is over 2.5m.

I'm really excited to be joining this Sew A Long and can't wait to get started on my first project.

20 comments:

Heather said...

That's a lovely little stash! I will be in London on the last weekend of September. Maybe you can share some fabric shopping tips or meet for a cup of tea?

ozviking said...

Hi Sam! I am so impressed - your stash is so small, yet you have been sewing all your life! How do you manage to achieve that? What is your secret?

Hana said...

Hi Sam! Nice to meet you:) You had a lovely stash and I am looking forward to seeing what you make from your stash.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Sam
what pretty fabrics in your stash..Look forward to seeing what you make.Happy sewing.

Scheryka said...

Hi, Sam! You have pretty prints and very cute solids. And since I love butterflies, I love the butterfly fabric!

Mary said...

Nice stash, and its size is manageable. We can look to you for tips and tricks.

Far said...

Hello Sam! What a pleasure to "meet" you! Saw that you've made some lovely things, esp the linen laurel and the pants. Look forward to what you will make here.Happy sewing!!

Dk's Wife said...

Hello Sam. You have a very nice tidy stash - much better than mine. Mine is a jumble of things :)

Janine said...

Hi Sam. I have fabric envy for that length in the middle of your last fabric photo ;-)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Sam, what a lovely neat stash - pretty prints - it's hard to get them here, so I am quite envious. And how have you managed to be stash avoidant for so long? You must tell us - but for now I look forward to seeing what you make - then you can buy some replacement stash guilt free :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

PS Always a good idea to use something you don't like in the stash for a muslin - I think that is what you are planning with the coral colour jersey.

Sam said...

Hi Heather, I'll certainly have a look in my diary and see if I'm free.

Sam said...

Lack of good fabric shops near me!

Sam said...

I love butterflies too. I had to have that piece even though it was all the shop had left and it's less than a metre.

Sam said...

Thank you Far. The linen Laurel is one of my favourites.

Sam said...

Sarah Liz, my small stash is mainly due to the fact that there aren't any good fabric shops near where I live!

Sam said...

Mine was a jumble until I sorted it out yesterday! ;-)

Beverly said...

Hi Sam. What lovely fabrics you have!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

That does limit things - just as well you haven't found online yet :)

Jacq C said...

Hey Sam, glad to see you joined. I think you have a small stash because you are so good at actually getting on and making stuff - I'm hoping that is catching! x