Monday, June 24, 2013

Trials and Tribulations - and a nearly finished garment

Hi All

It's been really inspiring to see all your completed projects in June.

I haven't managed to finish a single stash-busting garment - not for the want of trying but because my sewing machine is in a bad way, I think it might be the end :(

I'm currently looking at buying a new machine, the choice is mind-blowing, and I'm not good at shopping so am actually finding it quite stressful, worrying about making the wrong choice.  I tested 2 yesterday, I'm back at the shop next Saturday to try another couple of machines.  Hopefully this time next week I'll actually be able to do some sewing.  If you've got any recommendations I'd be glad to have them.

In the meantime I've been matching patterns with fabrics, it makes me feel like I'm joining in just a little bit, on the periphery.  At least I should be good to go once I have a working machine.

Anyway, I have an almost finished garment - it is waiting for 7 buttonholes (and the corresponding buttons) and it will be done.  (I finished a refashioning project by hand, I'm not going to attempt to do that with the buttonholes!)



It's a second version of Tilly's Picnic Blanket Skirt - I've wanted a black & white version (with bigger squares) ever since I made my first one.  I wear this a lot, I love gingham, so I'm hopeful this will be in frequent rotation - just need to get it finished before the end of what is apparently our summer in the UK!

I had just about 1.4 metres of fabric, that was all that was left on the bolt when I bought it.  This one is not as long as the last one, due to lack of fabric, it's a good job I'm short!  I didn't even have enough fabric to make the pockets and decided to do without. 

Does this scrape into June stash-busting even though I can't finish it?  I'm afraid it's a tiny contribution to the stash-busting total - I hope to make a bigger contribution in July :)

Jacq
x

13 comments:

Mary said...

I bought a new machine a few years ago, after my beloved first machine finally gave up the ghost. I bought an Elna 5100 which is a basic Elna with 30 stitches, needle up/down, feed dogs can be dropped, capable of double needle sewing, auto threading, 5-6 types of suto buttonholes. It sews nicely on silk to denim. It was about $750 US, which I think is very reasonable for a basic machine. HTH, Mary

Mary said...

sheesh, can't type "...types OF buttonholes" not "...types of suto buttonholes". :-)

Jacq C said...

Oh I dream of consistent buttonholes! I tried a high-end Bernina yesterday - beautiful but totally out of my budget, looked like you could fly the Starship Enterprise as it had so many functions! I've tried a Janome too which I really liked (the TXL607). My current machine is so basic I'm trying to focus on a wishlist of features. They stock Elnas, I'll be sure to try one :)

Mrs. Smith said...

I love the gingham! Love it!!

Jacq C said...

Thank you - I love it too, makes me think of Doris Day movies :)

Sam said...

I love this skirt Jacq, I really wish this style suited me.

On the sewing machine front, mine is an Elna, and still sews pretty well despite being over 20 years old. It's only a basic model, but does the job.

Dk's Wife said...

I love that type of skirt, and made in gingham, it looks sew retro!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Jacq - so sorry to hear that your machine has died - I empathise with your stress reactions about buying a new one. Sometimes you can find reviews on the internet. I guess I would be looking at future service - will the dealer be there to help if there are problems. Good luck...

I think you squeak in quite nicely - quite a challenge getting something made at all, with everything that has been going on.

redpointtailor said...

I am looking for the new sewing machine too. You may check some comments and recommendations on my blog. You may as well check reviews on PatternReveiw. So far I identified 2 sewing machines which I would be interested in - Janome Memory Craft 6600 and Pfaff expression 2.0. I still have to check Elna and Bernina (very good - very expensive though). Success!

Beverly said...

Cute skirt; love the gingham.

Dorothy DotDot said...

I really like this skirt!

Heather said...

I love this skirt. It is so feminine and simple. I bought my new machine and have been happy. It is the Brother Innov NV-10 and it was about 310 euro on sale (<$400 or so). It does have nice features at that price point (buttonholes, double needle, drop feeddogs, blind hem, etc). Good luck on a new machine!

Jacq C said...

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have a second appointment at the sewing machine shop tomorrow and will try some of the machines you've suggested. Fingers crossed :)