Thursday, June 6, 2013

When does Stash become Stash?

 Hi all,

Carole mentioned in her post that she made up some recently purchased fabric and thought technically it was stash, because it had been sitting for a week.

Ladies, I would like to remind you that we do not have those black and white rules that some other Stash Sew-A-Longs do.  You decide when fabric becomes stash, not me, or anyone else.  We do not say stash has to be a minimum of six months old, or not recyled fabrics, or whatever. Stash is whatever you want it to be.

Anyway, we all know how a stash starts - that bit of fabric newly arrived that was going to be made straight up into something...and then is sat there, stashing itself.

So really, Carole has just taught us how a new fabric is both stash and new, all at once - and how it can be used now or later.

I too have made up some recently purchased fabric - my norm is to let things sit until they are mature and aging stash. But this is a great idea - to use fresh stash up as soon as possible.  Something perhaps we should all think about from time to time, while allowing some pieces, like good wine and cheese - to mature.

But some stash pieces, like chocolate, disappear quickly into a new garment.

So, this is my newly minted, for new stash garment (also a recent pattern...) - patterned pants...

Total stash used:  1.2 metres -about 1.3 yards

For more info about these pants:

http://sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/the-new-patterned-pants.html

16 comments:

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Sarah, these are so cute on you.. Just perfect..
I love your thoughts on the stash.. You are so right.. Stash is stash.. I have some that is years old, and I have some that was probably purchased in the last couple months.. So, as long as we are using up our stash, we are accomplishing a goal.. Getting our sewing done..
thank you so much. Judy

Far said...

Perfect!I AlSo Often Sew From My Stash Of Old Clothes (Most Often I Harvest Fabric From These Clothes). I Have 2 Huge Bins Of These, And IConsider Most Of The Clothes Hanging In Close Unworn As Fair Game Too...

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Judy, thank you - and yes, the goal is sewing - from any form of stash :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Far, I like your style - yes, if it's not worn, as you say, re-use. I recently found a pair of PJ pants, really extra large and roomy - unworn - my husbands - they've been stashed for something useful :)

ozviking said...

Those pants look fantastic on you. Congratulations! Sometimes we need to add new fabric to the stash, but honestly, I really don't want to expand my stash. I would much prefer to reduce it a little. It will be interesting to see the amount of fabric I have come end of December.

Heather said...

Thanks for that! I am one of those that didn't have a large stash, so I am continually adding. I think once it hits my sewing area it becomes stash. LOL. Oh, and those pants are awesome!

Dk's Wife said...

The pants look good on you. You have a very slim figure, and the slim pants are flattering.

Judith said...

Love your definition of 'stash' - you are just so flexible, it is the key to what is making this all work for everyone!

Mary said...

I really like the printed pants. They are fun and whimsical.

Scheryka said...

Prints on pants...awesome!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Lene - yes, mine is now in reduction mode - just occasionally something to pep things up will be needed but I have 177 pieces to work through over the next few years :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Yes, I think that is what most fabric purchases become - of course there are some uber organised sewers who just buy what they need and sew to a plan - but I haven't met one of these wonder women (or men) yet :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Thank you Kay - yes- slim is alright, but skin tight doesn't work as I look like I have stick legs!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Thanks Judith - I think in groups it pays to be flexible and faciliatative, not domineering and bossy :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

They are rather fun - I kelpt being drawn back to the fabric so in the end had to succumb! I held it up and it wasn't right for a skirt or jacket - it looked best as pants.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

My first Scheryka, maybe not the last :)