Sunday, June 16, 2013

ZigZag Dress

My second finished project is McCall's 6433

Stash used:
* 1 5/8 yard zig-zag knit (only 1 year old!)
* 1.5 yard navy knit - less than 2 years in my stash, but from a thrift store so likely in another stash for years before that.
* 22" zipper - price tag of $0.75  probably from the 3 bags of zippers that I bought for a couple bucks at Salvation Army in the 1990's.
* velcro
* thread

If you go to my blog to read the details, you can learn about things like "darn" as a verb vs expletive, and my newly coined term of a "Boobie Dickey". 

You will also feel much better about your sewing projects as you read about my 7 sewing errors, some of which I solved and others not so much. 

12 comments:

Giggles said...

I have the very same fabric. I bought it online and it was a bit more shiny (and see through)then I thought it would be and now it is just sitting there and I was wondering what to do with it.

Your dress is very inspiring :-)

Marjorie said...

It totally needs lining! And the stretch when you cut it this direction is minimal, so think of it like a woven when picking patterns. I think it would be amazing as a simple sheath dress or a tank (top or dress).

SarahLizSewStyle said...

HI Marjorie - I love your serious stashing behaviours - bags of zips, and lots more too, I would suspect. I also love the old dummy- must be about the same vintage as mine and about as crooked. I've been to your blog and it looks as though you had challenges galore - all salvaged or solved by cunning creativity :)

Jacq C said...

That is very pretty fabric - a the fact that it needed lining means you've doubled your stash usage - result!

Dk's Wife said...

You crack me up. The fabric is lovely, and I think you did a great job fixing the issues.

Far said...

Lol! You Have A Lovely Set But I Understand,I Would probabLy Be Making A Boobie Dickey Myself Too IfThis Happen Too Me. This Way, The Dress WilL Get More.wear! I Love The Zigzag MissoNi Style Fabric So Much! Soooo Pretty As A Dress!

Janine said...

You poor thing, but at least you can laugh about it. Good recovery from potential disaster.

Marjorie said...

The dummy came from mom's house a few weeks ago. It's so old that the threads where the nut holds the base on is no longer made and I had to go to a metal manufacturer to have it re-threaded. This is it's first use in probably 60 years.

Mary said...

Your great sense of humor is such an asset when faced with "disasters". Great looking dress, with "boobie dickey".

Sew Blessed Maw said...

So sorry you had these troubles.. But, I really like the dress, and the fabric.. You were smart to do the "boobie dickie" [boy ,that is a mouthful to say,hahahha]
Happy sewing.

Heather said...

Boobie dickie. 'Nuff said. :-)

Linda said...

Love this fabric and I may have to try a boobie dickie in the future.