Thursday, July 25, 2013

4 yards used - Derby dress and Kelly skirt!


Some serious stash busting for me this week.  I made my first Derby dress by Christine Haynes.  I love it and it is so versatile – I wore it to a BBQ on Saturday, then working at home, and walking the dog! 

The fabric is a voile from ebay ( I think it’s Liberty) and I lined it with a red silk cotton mix from Stone Fabrics.  I cut a size 10, which fitted at the bust, but was enormous everywhere else.  Not kind to the hips!  So lots of changes to the pattern - I don't want to take up too much space here, but you can read more on my blog.
 

And then I made a Kelly skirt from a very small piece of vintage fabric, which I've had for about 3 years.


















I lengthened it a bit and made a narrow waistband instead of the wide one given with the pattern.  This was because I had so little fabric, but I prefer the narrow version.  I find the wide one just folds over on me - I know, I should sit up straight!

Do you have a favourite summer dress pattern?  I'm on the look out for more!

12 comments:

Mrs. Smith said...

I love both but ESPECIALLY that skirt! It's beautiful!!!!

Far said...

Such Lovely Fabrics!! :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Dottie - lovely garments - I do love the picture of your liberty dress worn with wellies - looks fantastic walking in the stream - maybe my own childhood nostalgia speaking as I spent my happy childhood years in England. The narrow band will sit better - wide bands need lots of reinforcing, sometimes boning - and they also shorten the look of your torso.

Dottie Doodle said...

Thank you! So glad I finally used the fabric, it deserves to be seen.

Dottie Doodle said...

Thank you!

Dottie Doodle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dottie Doodle said...

The ultimate test-does it look good with wellies!

Dk's Wife said...

Love them both. The dress looks so comfy!

Hana said...

These projects are lovely! Your fabrics choice are pretty too:)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Naturally :)

Mary said...

This whole post made me smile-you are rockin' those wellies :-) Cute dress, and super skirt.

Dottie Doodle said...

Oh, thank you. I spend a lot of time in wellies, not good for the tan!