Well, summer has finally arrived in the UK! The weekend just gone was a scorcher, and I suddenly discovered I have almost nothing in the way of hot weather clothing that is work appropriate.
No problem, I thought, I'll just use some of my fabric stash and make myself a nice summer skirt.
I got out the cream linen blend I bought while I was on holiday in May, and found a pattern which I got free in a magazine about 4 years ago.
This is the pattern (I decided to make the shorter version) - it's not really my style - which is where all the trouble started.
My second failing was that I decided to leap straight in and start cutting without making a muslin. My excuse is that I was desperate for a new skirt! What is it they say - "more haste, less speed"?!
Anyway, I cut it out based on my hip measurements, sewed the pleats, inserted the invisible zip (not very invisibly) and sewed the side and back seams. Tried it on. It looked awful. The pleats came down far too low and it was enormous around my waist.
So I unpicked the bottom half of the pleats and took the waist in. Ugh, it still looks horrible. And I've totally lost interest in it now. I'm not even going to show you it modelled.
I should have learned by now that if I rush things they don't work out well. A couple of years ago I'd have been happy with this skirt, but not now. I've got far more particular as I've got more sewing time under my belt.
So, stash has been reduced by 1 metre, but I have nothing wearable to show for it! Maybe I'll go back to this at a later stage and see if I can make it wearable.