Wednesday, July 10, 2013

More haste equals waste!

Well, summer has finally arrived in the UK!  The weekend just gone was a scorcher, and I suddenly discovered I have almost nothing in the way of hot weather clothing that is work appropriate.

No problem, I thought, I'll just use some of my fabric stash and make myself a nice summer skirt.

I got out the cream linen blend I bought while I was on holiday in May, and found a pattern which I got free in a magazine about 4 years ago.

This is the pattern (I decided to make the shorter version) - it's not really my style - which is where all the trouble started.


My second failing was that I decided to leap straight in and start cutting without making a muslin.  My excuse is that I was desperate for a new skirt!  What is it they say - "more haste, less speed"?!

Anyway, I cut it out based on my hip measurements, sewed the pleats, inserted the invisible zip (not very invisibly) and sewed the side and back seams.  Tried it on.  It looked awful.  The pleats came down far too low and it was enormous around my waist.

So I unpicked the bottom half of the pleats and took the waist in.   Ugh, it still looks horrible.  And I've totally lost interest in it now.    I'm not even going to show you it modelled. 



I should have learned by now that if I rush things they don't work out well.  A couple of years ago I'd have been happy with this skirt, but not now.  I've got far more particular as I've got more sewing time under my belt. 

So, stash has been reduced by 1 metre, but I have nothing wearable to show for it!  Maybe I'll go back to this at a later stage and see if I can make it wearable. 

13 comments:

Giggles said...

Don't feel bad :-)

I have made lots of skirt muslins in the last 12 months and hardly skirts, in fact the one skirt I made was a wearable muslin. I always look at things and think to myself 'wouldn't this look great' and then in reality they don't quite measure up. The ones that were okay, got packed in a ziplock bag with the pattern and the final fabric and are waiting for me to make them, but I had lost interest in the mean time.

My favourite issue (that I always seem to forget about when looking at patterns) I don't like skirts that sit on my waist, yet a lot do and every time I look at a pencil skirt I swoon, but in reality it doesn't really work for me and my life style and they almost always sit on your waist :-)

m. said...

I have had a very hard time making a muslin. I get so excited that all I want is to sew and poof! have a garment made...but taking our time is essential to a well fitted piece. m.

Jacq C said...

Oh how frustrating. I'm sure you'll be able to fix it but sometimes it's best to walk away for a bit. I'm struggling with accepting patterns I like don't necessarily suit me :(

Sam said...

I'm even sure I really liked this pattern, I was just desperate for a new summery skirt! But yes, I struggle with accepting styles I like don't always suit me.

Sam said...

My problem with skirts is that my hips are a good 10 inches bigger than my waist, and I find that because there is such a difference in the measurements most skirts ride up when I sit down, so that the top edge ends up somewhere around my lower ribcage. I think that's why I prefer dresses.

Sam said...

Yes, as you can see I'm often like that too!

Mrs. Smith said...

Aww :(

Time for a palette cleansing project! Sew a TNT :)

Sam said...

I've resorted to doing some of my appliqued and embroidered pictures instead - they always cheer me up because there's no "right" or "wrong" as long as they look pretty.

Scheryka said...

I agree with Mrs. Smith. A TNT always puts me back on the right path!

Far said...

Agree With Mrs Smith & Scheryka :) Glad U Have Your Pretty Project To Cheer U UP!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

So sorry the skirt didn't work for you.. Hope you find a happy "next" project , that you will enjoy..

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Sam, how disappointing for you - I think you have pointed out the trap we all fall into sometimes - that overconfidence, rushing in, choosing a style that doesn't work for us or our lifestyle. I've done a lot of that myself...

Your appliques are a treat. Give yourself a break and then go back and get your confidence back with another garment.

Mary said...

Oh, I'm sorry the skirt didn't fit. Every project we make helps us learn though, and you did use up some stash. Hope you are feeling your sewing mojo now.