Tuesday, July 2, 2013

New Member of Style the Stash

I found this wonderful site by link from Red Point Tailor and wanted to join in the fun. I had already decided it was time for me to make lots of summer clothes from fabrics I've collected and are wasting away in my stash. So this is just what I need to keep me going! I have been sewing for 45 years and usually design my own patterns. My youngest daughter just graduated in apparel design and the two of us like to play together with fabric.

My tally for June is 2 yards. I made this dress from a hand-printed Indonesian batik fabric. It was interesting in that the border was not printed along the selvage. The fabric was printed in 2 yard pieces with the border at the two raw ends. Since the rest of the fabric was a one way design, that meant that to use both borders at the hem, the front and back are not quite the same. Luckily it's not noticeable and only adds to the charm. I used every last bit of the fabric to squeeze this dress into 2 narrow yards. I had to add a seam to the bodice center back that shouldn't be there.

The flower stems go in different directions front and back.

You can read more about this dress on my blog here.

16 comments:

Sally Burch said...

This is stunning... and delightfully unique! ;)

Sam said...

Gorgeous! You look very elegant and cool.

Judith said...

This dress has beautiful lines to it, and with this fabric it just looks stunning!

Jacq C said...

I love your fabric, it's a very stylish dress :)

Beverly said...

Hello, Lucy & welcome to our group. That is a wonderful dress.

Far said...

Hi Lucy! Lovely Dress!

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Hi Lucy,
Love your dress. the fabric is beautiful.. Proud you joined the group. Happy sewing.

Ellen Walker said...

Hi, Lucy. Your dress looks summery and is very lovely. Welcome aboard!

Hana said...

Hi Lucy! Welcome to the group! You have made such a lovely dress. I am a batik lover and so glad to see another sewist made a lovely garment from it.

Isabella M. said...

wow Gorgeous!That is a wonderful dress.

Mary said...

welcome Lucy, I love the idea of using lots of stash for summer clothing. Your dress is really pretty!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Lucy and welcome - I'm glad you found us:)

You would have used every last bit of 2 yds for that dress - it must have been quite a challenge getting it laid out.

Summer sewing is great for stash busting - lots of lovely dresses and tops. We're going through to the end of the year, so plenty of time to use winter stash too.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

P.S- forgot to say the dress is also gorgeous :)

Heather said...

This print is fabulous! I am so jealous that you have these pattern skills. Maybe someday......

redpointtailor said...

Stunning! Fabulous! I love the top part of your design!

playfulstitching said...

Thank you, The dress has seam binding instead of facings which cut out some of the needed fabric. I've got plenty of winter fabric in my stash so I won't have to stop any time soon!