Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Pencil Skirt #2 Road Test and Pencil Skirt Progress

Greetings all!

Today I tested out pencil skirt number 2 (the monkey print).  Granted I had to get up a bit early, dash into the sewing room and attach the anchoring threads to the lining so I could wear the skirt, but I could not stand the clothes currently in my closet.  Speaking of the lining, the lining of this skirt is scooped out.  I've read reviews where people don't like the look, but I really like it.  No lining peeking out when I walk.  (As you can see, I did not serge the seams - I want to be able to alter my skirts when needed.


So, here it is on me (these are end of the day pictures):


 I am amused by this picture -- I didn't notice that I was "off center". Haha.
I love being able to slap on a pencil skirt and not have to fuss with it all day long.  Even though it got a little droopy in the front (I will take out just a bit more fabric front and center for the next group), the hem remained straight which is a huge victory.  Usually I have to tug on my skirts because the hem rides up in the back (thank you squats). (Learning to dress this new transitional body is definitely a challenge.  My measurements haven't changed, but skirts don't fit the same because I do a lot of squats and my biceps are quite a bit larger from all of the upper body work in boxing class.  Now if this getting ready for menopause body would be willing to let go of some weight, I would be happy.  Until then, I'm learning to be content with growing stronger, adding muscle (and pounds on the scale.  grrrrr) and increasing my endurance.  I know the rest will come in time. Until then, I sew, I sew and I sew.)

As for my other skirts, last night I finished completing the skirts and tried them all on:


 When I sewed these two together, I realized that I made a mistake cutting these two out. I grabbed the lining front pattern piece instead of the skirt, so I'll have to unpick these and re-cut new fronts.  This, of course, happened with my favorite fabrics, these amazing stretch twills.
 Next on my list is cutting out and assembling the linings and then putting the skirts together.

Monkey skirt yardage - 3 yards.

Happy sewing all!

13 comments:

iwantahandmadewardrobe said...

I like it! Like you, I can't stand anything that is in my closet either - they don't fit! m.

Jacq C said...

Wow, you are so productive. Your fabrics are really interesting too, such great patterns :)

Mrs. Smith said...

WOW! Where do you find such interesting fabric? I love the skirt, it fits you nicely.

Christy S said...

Thanks! My fabrics generally come from Fabric.com or Fabricmartfabrics.com, with the occasional ebay purchase thrown in for good measure.

Christy S said...

Thank you. It's going slower than I'd like, but at least I'm making some progress.

Christy S said...

Stupid closet. Thankfully I found something today that I like.

Scheryka said...

Fabric.com is one of my go-to online stores. Love them and they have GREAT customer service.

Scheryka said...

Christy, I love ALL of your prints! Good job on the skirts. (I get surprised to with a few oops and uh-ohs because my 'photographer' is either 9 or 14 and they just snap and go. Nothing more! Lol)

redpointtailor said...

This is a serious stash busting :-) I love such simple skirts as well. Easy to sew, easy to wear, easy to combine with a lot of tops.

L said...

Indeed, that is some serious stash busting. Nice job.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Great job with using up that stash.. Love your new skirt.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Great stash busting with a really good purpose - I'm running a bit behind you, Christy, but I'm going to catch up:)

I always manage to take my photo's with the back of centre as well - I keep forgetting to check:).

The skirt looks fantastic - I am amazed the you can so easily build muscle - but muscle also gives fantastic curves. And this skirt really shows them off.

Mary said...

Flirty skirt!! I love it.