Saturday, July 6, 2013

Stuck on Muslins...

I'm in a bit of a muslin rut at the moment - as pre-preparation for summer sewing.  I've trialled four patterns - one of which is not going to be made up, and three will be - out of stash, some of it already pre washed.

Muslins are still made from stash though, so here they are:



This little trouser gave me less headaches than many of the patterns I have tried , so I think it will the one I use to make up simple cotton trousers for summer - the sort of thing you don't really worry about, but just wear as a round the house go-to.  I've just tossed a drawer full of old clothes, so I need some quick and simple projects to replace these.


 I also time my sewing projects - I've got two A-Line corduroy skirts to make - one will happen next week, the other the week after.  These are simple to make, and that's what I need - the next two weeks are full time work to sort out the paperwork things related to the end of the last financial year.  Certainly not my favourite time, so in two weeks time I hope to be starting my summer sewing as my reward:)

The amount of stash I used was 1 yard.





10 comments:

Judith said...

Preparation for summer sewing! You are on a mission. I am slowly but surely nudging my stash down...J
?time...do you use calico for your muslins??? And if so, do you buy it in the 10m rolls from Spottie???

Mary said...

The fit on these looks pretty good! I see that you have added waistband and ?zip...the recent Threads has an article on pants fitting and that is one of the author's recommendations.

Faye Lewis said...

Pants muslin making is what I call painstaking works of art. Time well spent though to get a great fitting pair of pants.

m. said...

When we take the time to make a muslin, our efforts, I believe, are greatly rewarded. All those kinks are definitely ironed out :) m.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

I certainly am on a mission Judith - a long time in the planning - I couldn't do much sewing while I completed my studies in Psychology, so this year I am going to get that wardrobe I want:). I use calico or old sheets(get them from op shops). I don't buy the 10 m rolls from Spotlight because they are expensive. I buy ends when they are cheap - or curtain lining, or anything else cheap.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Mary, yes, if I think a pattern has potential, I always add a band and close the front/side/whatever. If it doesn't, I don't waste time on a band. The band holds things up so you get a better idea of fit.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

I agree, Faye, although sometimes my groaning is audible - I guess that is the pain part of the painstaking :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Maria, you are right - and then if you make more than one garment from that muslin, you also reap the reward :)

redpointtailor said...

I just put my pants muslin away... you are stubbern :-) but you are quite close to finish!
We are too perfect ... I see the same with this Marfy dress - once I started to make adjustments ... I juast want it to be perfect

Scheryka said...

The muslins are coming along just fine. Keep making audible grunts and soon they'll be a perfect pair! Doing good.