Friday, August 23, 2013

August Stashbushing - it's a fail for me!

Hello there!  I think this is probably my first post for August, because I've been a massive failure at stashbusting this month.

There are a couple of reasons for this. 

I have been sewing, but I've spent quite a bit of time making a wedding dress for someone else.  When I have been sewing for myself, it's been from - shock, horror - NEW fabric.

I've made 2 dresses this month - both versions of the Anna dress from By Hand London, which is a wonderful pattern by the way.  The fabric for both of these was new to my stash, one piece bought at the end of July to cheer myself up after a dentist visit, and the other bought a couple of weeks ago specifically for the dress it became.


Even worse, I added three more pieces of fabric to my stash this month, and I have another on the way.

These are the fabrics that are new:


Top left: the Ikat print viscose that became my second Anna.
Top right: Grey cable patterned jersey.
Bottom left: Bright red viscose jersey.
Bottom right: Floral print viscose.

If it makes things any better all the fabrics were purchased with projects in mind.  They will all be dresses of some description.  I'm also waiting for 3 metres of navy wool/cashmere/poly blend to make a coat.

Now they have become part of my stash, I will hopefully be "busting" at least a couple of them quite soon, and you'll see the results here.

15 comments:

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Sam, don't feel guilty - you have been sewing, which is the main thing. And I don't think there are any hard and fast rules about when stash becomes stash - I know there is one rumour in the blogosphere that it is 6 months, but I think as soon as it arrives it is on the way to becoming stash!! Lovely fabric, and the dresses are stunning. So is the wedding dress - I've already seen it on your blog :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Sam, if you want to include this as stash, you may - stash prevention is also part of what this sew-a-long is about! If fabric is made up quickly before it lays around too long, it can be counted under the stash prevention rule:)

Jacq C said...

I think this definitely counts - if I've brought it into the house and processed it in any way (washed it, sorted it, stored it in appropriate category box, draped it over Doris so that I can imagine heat it might become!) then it is Stash! ;)

Sam said...

That sounds good to me Sarah Liz. In that case I've used 5 metres this month, 2 on the knee length dress and 3 on the maxi length.

Sam said...

I like your thinking Jacq. Also, I'm impressed that you have different boxes for different types of fabric. All mine is lumped together.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Sam, I think you have accomplished a lot in August. and I agree with the others, this is definitely counting towards your stash.. And I love those 2 dresses..so pretty

Mary said...

Beautiful summer dresses, and I have a suggestion...just remove x yds of stash you hate and donate it. Then you will be even :-)

Mrs. Smith said...

Those dresses are AMAZING. Where you did find such lovely fabrics? All of them look yummy!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

:)

Sam said...

Thank you.

Sam said...

That's a good idea, thank you.

Sam said...

Thank you. The fabric I used for the grey dress came from a little local shop, the bright ikat print can be bought online from Minerva Crafts. I also got the grey and red jerseys from them.

L said...

I understand! I sewed some new fabric that also turned out to be a fail. I'm working on stash fabric now and hope to have that finished soon.

Heather said...

I think those are lovely dresses, though.

redpointtailor said...

Wow! I am impressed ... I am so far behind you all here ....