Sunday, August 25, 2013

Clearing the Decks

My sewing time has been sucked up trying to finish a pair of baby quilts for twin girls due soon.

I wouldn't normally show quilts on this blog, but it was a total stash buster.  The quilt on the right started a couple years ago with the strip of triangles that I got as a door prize.  It was my first really improv quilt and became my practice piece as I was learning to free motion quilt on my home machine.

This spring, I was at the same quilt shop as the triangles came from, but attended the shop hop with non-quilting friends so came home with enough 2.5" block door prizes to make a quilt top.  The binding fabric for these quilts qualifies as ULTIMATE STASH as it was stash fabric that became curtains for my girl's room, which then returned to the stash during a re-decorate about 6-8 years ago.  The reason the quilt on the left is smaller is that I decided to use up some weird poly batting I found in the garage.  It wasn't until I was in the process of quilting that I recalled it was a high loft batting I bought to try a machine trapunto technique.

Stash used:  7 yards cotton fabric, 4 yards batting.

I had promised my daughter we would spend this weekend sewing back to school clothes.

She stayed up all night gaming.

So instead, I made a pair of these shopping bags to deliver the baby quilts.

Stash used:  1.5 yards


As always..more details at my blog.

5 comments:

Dk's Wife said...

Everything is so pretty! You done a fantastic job.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Marjorie, you are quite welcome to post quilts on this blog - it doesn't matter what sort of stash or what sort of sewing - it's all sewing textiles. And it is really nice to see the sorts of things people make - some of us might become quilters just be seeing quilts that people make. Thanks for posting :)

Heather said...

You've inspired me. I have a quilt top to put together and another quilt that needs just a bit and the binding.

Mary said...

Super stashbusting!!

Beverly said...

I love seeing your quilts! And what a cute bag.