Monday, September 9, 2013

GREAT DRESS FROM MY STASH

I used Butterick 5554 and two colors of pontederoma from my stash to make a nice dress from

BUTTERICK 5554
I traced and altered the pattern at points I thought would make a better fit, like:
  • Raise the neckline 1 inch
  • Extend the shoulder seams 3/4 inch, that included extending the front and back neck facings
  • Added three inches to the length of the dress
I used I used interfaced poly-interlock for the facings because I thought self facings would create too much bulk since my dress in made from pontederoma.   Even though I added 3" the dress it was barely long enough for my liking.  So I added a stretch lace hem facing and just barely turned up the hem.  I did not like to look of machine topstitched hems so I opted to hem by hand.   Another surprise was not having to use a zipper, yeahhhh!   Things just worked out, and it's a perfect fit!

I used black pontederoma for the sleeves and base of the dress, and snow leopard for the center panel for an on trend look, both from my stash.  The dress is unlined.



Choose solid black for the back of the dress.

Decreased stash by 2 3/4 yards....

5 comments:

Heather said...

What a great dress!

Jacq C said...

Very stylish :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

That little bit of leopard stash is gorgeous - a very lovely and elegant dress - it will suit you very well :)

Dk's Wife said...

Love it Faye!

Mary said...

This will certainly be a pattern you come back to in the future...this is a lovely dress!