Saturday, October 19, 2013

A Knit Skirt from the Stash...

I fell in love with the idea of this skirt when  Sheila of Sheila-CTK posted this picture in early September.
The picture started me thinking about a yard of fabric that I had left over from this dress that I made back in August
 I decided to use 
McCall's 6654 knit pencil skirt pattern that I tried last fall with good success. I underlined the pattern pieces (there were only two) by hand basting tricot down the center and the side seams to give the fabric a little more body.  It took me two nights to hand stitch the pressed open side seams because I didn't want them flapping around and bunching up after washing.
I wanted to emphasize the fabrics pretty turquoise stripe and was able to do so with this twin set in the exact color.  I couldn't decide on the skirt length, but went ahead and put it at mid calf because you know I plan on wearing it with boots.  I figure if this lengths not right - I can always cut if off shorter.
I may or may not wear this belted (or I might try a thinner belt) -  I just wanted to see how it looked. I owe my inspiration for the skirt to Sheila.

8 comments:

Jacq C said...

Great skirt, beautifully styled, you've really captured your inspiration so well :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

I agree with Jacq - this is a lovely smart skirt - and with longer lengths being on trend at the moment, I think this length may work :)

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Very pretty skirt..

Mary said...

Oh, that's pretty. I love that you found inspiration and went for it. Totally wonderful outfit (and I think a narrow belt would be good too).

Scheryka said...

Ooh pretty. I want some chevron fabric so bad but I don't want to pay more than $3.00. I'm so cheap. My plan is to spot the bolt at Hancock's or catch a good sale at one my favorite online stores. And good job picking the Turquoise to enhance. I love it.

Linda said...

Great looking skirt! It looks great with the twin set.

Candyce Nicole said...

Beautiful skirt! That fabric was perfect for it.

redpointtailor said...

What a great use of the fabric! I see you already wearing it with boots :-)