Saturday, October 5, 2013

Just a Few Tweaks!

Hi everyone! I recently made up my first ever vintage pattern, yay! I made it in a blue cotton and used about 1.5m of stash including the collar which is a cream/ivory colour called "bone" on the bolt.

Admittedly the dress did not come out as many I had hoped, the blind hem isn't so blind, the collar is all ruffled and it seriously needs an iron, but I will endeavour to fix this dress at some stage!

Mmm them wrinkles
It was a simple enough make, I omitted the sleeves, widened it just a tad, shortened it and added a cute collar. However after all my work with the collar and the fabulous job I did binding it.. it is all ruffly! :(
Ruffles in all the wrong places
Other than the issues mentioned, I really love this dress! Any tips on fixing the collar would be most welcome. I don't want to have to relegate this dress to "cardigan wear only".




8 comments:

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Zoe - for someone still learning you have not done a bad job at all. I am not sure how you can fix the ruffling - perhaps next time, make a collar out of leftovers, tack it to the dress and see how it lays - if it sits nicely, proceed, otherwise fold out the full spots,slash the tight spots. Do you have any books on how to make patterns - it might be an idea to start looking at them.

Zoë said...

That's the thing, I made a mock up of the collar and tested it, it was fine! Hence my surprise at the ruffliness. I may just have to unpick it and cut a new one.

Marjorie said...

I might try unsewing from about 1" in front of the shoulder seam to the back and try repositioning the collar section. Maybe with a slash or 2 in the seam allowance. My thought is that you may be able to ease out that fullness that seems to be creating the buckle. Might even trim some volume from the seam allowance of the back of the collar.

Sew Blessed Maw said...

Zoe, you did a great job . I love the pattern..Really cute. Best wishes and Happy sewing.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Zoe - you can look at Marjories suggestion. Try and position the collar on you and see what happens - pin the ruffles into darts and see how much fullness you have. If you replace it, don't finish it until you have tested whether it ruffles. Sometimes these are good ways of learning. And sometimes the design gets altered to a plain neckline :) (and if the collar annoys you lots, that might be an option...)

Mary said...

Zoe, great job, and I see what you mean about the collar. What type of fabric is it? It looks a bit heavier than the dress and that may be contributing.

Zoë said...

Both fabrics were classed as "lawn" but I think the collar fabric is a bit heavier.

Dorothy DotDot said...

It's such a cute dress. It will be worth the time to correct things you aren't satisfied with. I can't wait to see your next item.