Saturday, November 2, 2013

car coat and memories of mom

I participated in PatternReview's Lined Jacket contest this year and for my efforts I now have a great little car coat for fall.  My mom wore something simlar, though in a plaid I think, and I have wonderful memories of her looking chic while driving her convertible.  I would love to have had more time with her-she died when I was 8 years old.  Throughout my life, I have learned that I can temporarily bring her back with objects and photographs.  This sewing project is a nod to her.

Butterick 5533
Thank you Mom, for your efforts to give me everything possible in your short time as my mother.
1942
Sarah Liz, please add 4.5 yards to our total for October-2 1/4 for coat shell, and 2 1/4 for lining.

8 comments:

Jacq C said...

Mary that is such a lovely link to your Mother, beautiful coat :)

Katej841 said...

lovely coat, looks great on you, the color is very good with your hair. Nice tribute to your mom, sorry you lost her when you were so young.

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Your mom is beautiful. I am so sorry that you only had 8 yrs on this earth with her..But, you will be reunited again one day..And what a nice reunion , that will be..hugs..
Love your coat..so pretty.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Thank you for sharing your precious story with us, Mary. It is sad to lose a mother when you are so young. Your tribute is lovely.

As is the coat - I know you have been working on this contest, it's great to see it finished - it's gorgeous.

Hana said...

Beautiful coat, Mary! I am sorry that you lost your mom when you are very young. She is very beautiful women.

Scheryka said...

It's always good to have a warm coat and that's a beautiful photo of your Mom. I am sure she was just as beautiful in person.

MrsSmith said...

Your mom is GORGEOUS! Thank you for sharing with us :)

Nice work on that coat!

Linda said...

Lovely coat! You truly have your mother's eyes. Nice photo of her.