Friday, November 1, 2013

October Scrap Busting

Hi Everyone Happy Halloween! Just 2 small sewing projects from me in October - I've been busy with yarny things and cross-stitch gifts so I'm not slacking!
I needed a couple of sleeveless tops for work so sorted through my stash for some small pieces of fabric that I could squeeze Sorbettos out of. I bought this Japanese cotton at a craft fair last September, £6 for just shy of 3/4 of a yard. Plus some bias tape I had in my stash. I love these buttons, I picked them up in a charity shop for 10p. I'm pleased with this top, it's such good quality fine cotton, for just £6.10p - bargain.
This fabric was £4 from a vintage fair. I didn't have any matching bias (or anything suitable to make it from). I had even less of this so couldn't even make the facings out of the same fabric - I used scraps of cotton from my leftovers box. This is definitely a tana lawn, lovely to wear. I really like all the different colours in the pattern - easy to accessorise and incorporate into different outfits. I love the Sorbetto pattern but have tweaked it over time - I managed to make both of these longer which is really handy for tucking in or wearing loose - makes it much more versatile. So that's a tiny monthly total of about 1.5 yards Sarah Liz - but I shall get plenty of wear out of both of them! Jacq x

9 comments:

Busy Elle Bee said...

Hello,
I adore both your tops, especially the first one - those buttons are glorious! What a find! Well done on making 2 beautiful tops from so little fabric, I'm very impressed I wish my Sorbettos looked half as good as yours :)

MrsSmith said...

BEAUTIFUL!

I never find "good" buttons!! I love the tops, both look like they'll be enjoyable to wear!

Linda said...

Cute tops!!!

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Love your sorbetto's ..So pretty.[I love the way you put 2 buttons together each time.. cute idea.
And you got to use up some more stash.Congrats.. Happy sewing.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Jacq, those tops are just gorgeous - and it really doesn't matter how much or how little stash you use, the point is you did something for yourself that is important to you :)

They are both so, so pretty - I'll have to put the Sorbetto on my ever growing list too :)

Mary said...

Oh, these are wonderful. I love those vintage buttons also.

Jacq C said...

Thank you all so much - honestly it's the easiest project with so little fabric needed, a winner in my book! :)

Hana said...

These tops are lovely! I hope you have a fun wearing them :)

Scheryka said...

I've been trying to sew the Sorbetto but can not find the sew jo to print and tape and .....well, I'll marvel at yours. Great job.