Monday, November 11, 2013

project # I've lost count

I am still sewing here in Oregon.  Winter is coming, and the nights are very cold at 4500ft.  We have had glorious fall days and crisp nights.  The horses are feeling pretty frisky-yesterday I walked out to the far pasture to get Nick, and he was all sweaty.  He and Chiger were playing and with Nick's heavy coat, he got too hot.  I am sewing heavier fabrics so I can be like Nick.

This is Vogue 8906 in a red corduroy.  The color is a true red, very vibrant and deep.  I did not alter for petite and kept the length long in order to balance the weight of the fabric and the length of the 3/4 length sleeves.


I sewed it one size down from the suggestion as I wanted a fitted, 40's silhouette.  There are 2 darts in front and 2 in back.  Each dart is released into a vent above and below.  The darts are edgestitched on either side.
The back is difficult to fit because of the magyar (batwing) sleeves and the vents.  I sewed each dart a bit higher and also took in about 1/2 inch on the upper back center seam.  The back will never lie smoothly as the design allows for the upper vents to be "open" when you use your arms.
Finishing included hem lace in orange (just for fun) and some pink vintage buttons.  I'll wear this blouse with jeans, and with black, grey or printed slacks.


11 comments:

Emilio Fernandez said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

This is beautiful. I love the red corduroy.. Perfect for Christmas [and any time.]
thank you for the hint on using fray check on the button holes.

Hana said...

Pretty blouse! The color is fabulous and the lace hem finishing is super cute. For sure it suits well with jeans :)

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi everyone, I've been away for a few days, and not able to access the computer (well, actually, so busy I didn't have time) - so I have only just read the long comment. I am quite protective of all of my community, and I think that I would prefer you all to take sensible precautions about letting someone have your details and address. I will be deleting it as it seems to be directed to only one person.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

It's lovely to see this pattern made up Mary - it's gorgeous. What a great colour for winter - perfect for smartening up any casual winter outfit :)

Busy Elle Bee said...

Your blouse is so beautiful - what a lovely colour! Makes my wardrobe look a bit drab, so I'm off to find some bring colours in my stash :) I adore the lace hem too.

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Hi Mary, any idea how much stash you used ?

Mary said...

Sarah Liz, let's call it 2 yards with the 3/4 sleeves and the facings.

Dorothy DotDot said...

I love everything about this top. It's so pretty!

SarahLizSewStyle said...

Thanks Mary :)

MrsSmith said...

This is gorgeous and the hem tape is a perfect little bit of extra. Really nice work.