Thursday, October 31, 2013

The stash attack skirt (aka 2 down, 98 to go!)

Hello,

Hope you are all well.

I have been sewing like a mad person of late, and sorting out my fabric stash, rediscovering long forgotten sewing projects.

Last Sunday, whilst organising my stash, I discovered I had 2 types of black polka dot (with white spots) fabric - one with big spots, the other with smaller spots.  I've decided that I'm going through a polka dot phase.

That night I had a dream about making a polka dot skirt - (yes, I'm now dreaming about sewing - definitely a polka dot phase - ahem!), so the following evening I did a quick internet search, and found a great tutorial on Tilly and the buttons.  I made this skirt from start to finish in about 3 hours (I went to bed late that night).

The fabric is a lovely thick, crisp 100% cotton. The buttons are self covered and added to the back to the skirt, with pockets using the pattern from the Cami dress pattern by Pauline Alice I completed a few weeks ago. I'm going to team the skirt with a sleeveless white cotton shirt with black piping and a simple black cardigan (not shown).




I completed the hem the next day, as it was suggested I should allow the skirt to hang for a few hours before completing.  So now I have a great polka dot skirt, using only materials from my sewing room.  See dreams do come true! On that note I'm going to bed and looking forward to a good night's sleep - I want a Chanel handbag.

Amount of fabric used: 2 metres

Happy sewing :)

13 comments:

Hana said...

I love polka dot! Your skirt is very cute and matching the sleeveless blouse perfectly :-)

Busy Elle Bee said...

Thanks Hana, I'm trying to be good and make clothes which compliment my existing wardrobe. But when it comes to fabric my eye wanders :)

MrsSmith said...

That skirt looks amazing!!

Sew Blessed Maw [Judy] said...

Love your polka dot skirt.. So pretty

Jacq C said...

I love polka dots - great skirt :)

Busy Elle Bee said...

Thank you :)

Busy Elle Bee said...

Thank you :)

Busy Elle Bee said...

Thank you :)

Mary said...

Love this skirt and good luck on that Chanel bag :-)

Diane at GatorbunnySews said...

Your stash busting is inspiring. I love the dots!

Busy Elle Bee said...

Thanks Mary - sadly I woke up without a Chanel bag. Well it was worth a try :)

Busy Elle Bee said...

Thank you Diane. I'm now scarily planning another polka dot themed garment. But I want to use up my stash first before I purchase more fabric.

Scheryka said...

Polka dots are always great to wear any time of the year. Now I want one.